• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

font like Papyrus...ugh

Marlene

I am being forced into making a sign with the font Papyrus to match a customer's logo. the big problem is it will be for router cut plastic letters. if there a font that looks like that awful looking Papyrus font but without all the nasty jaggy edges? I sure hope so or I have to go in and clean up this mess so it will work.

thanks

J Hill Designs

doesnt work as well as i thought =/

Attachments

• Graphic2.jpg
    Graphic2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 552

Marlene

thanks, that will help speed up the process of getting rid of those jags. it may not work all that well but it's a start.

signsolutions

I've had good luck by typing the text into Photoshop, black on white bkg, saving as a medium size jpg. I bring that into Flexi and use the Vectorize-> Bezier.

It will keep the organic look but remove the smaller detail. I've found this to work better than trying to reduce curve points.

The size of the source jpg counts, so you may have to experiment.

- Keith

ucmj22

the larger you do the initial offset, the more of the jaggies you will remove, see attached.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-09-13 at 12.32.29 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-09-13 at 12.32.29 PM.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 329

Marlene

on a side note, you JUST made me install papyrus on my system =(

for that I am sooo sorry!

I did the outline/inline and then did the smooth and it worked pretty good as it keeps the horrid shape of the letters without all the jagged mess that is Papyus...I so hate this font! it is the font you see every want-to-be designer thru in these days. but on the flip side, it could be worse and be Brush Script or Comic Sans:Big Laugh

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I had to create a channel letter sign for a company that had Papyrus in its logo. Yeah, everyone hates Papyrus for how it is so badly used. At least these folks used the original Letraset version rather than the AWFUL looking cut Microsoft bundles into MS Office.

Anyway, I used Illustrator to help create the smoothed outline/path offset effect. In the offset path dialog box look at the "Joins" listing. It defaults to "Miter". Choose the "Rounded" option. This will prevent all those jagged corners in the lettering from having huge spines. You'll have some clean up work to do afterward but it's not too bad. It beats having to manually digitize the outline from scratch.