• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frames & Navigation Options

BrianKE

I am looking at updating my website (host crashed and lost some files). I have read much about how frames are not good when it comes to SEO and spidering and am therefore doing away with them.

However, this is easier said than done. I am now at a loss as to how to simulate the frames, specifically navigation, without using frames. My website had a left hand navigation area and a right hand 'main' area that I would like to recreate. Click a link on the navigation area and a new page is loaded in the main area.

In my searching I think I going to use PHP to recreate the frame-like behavior and CSS to control layout/styling but would like to know if that is the best option, especially when it comes to SEO. I do not want to use any packages like WordPress as I prefer to hand code everything (or at least most of it) and am fairly adapt at coding and learning new languages.

I would also like to know of any tips/tricks or stumbles you may have experienced using PHP in your website.

Any advice is appreciated.

artist4christ

When you say "frame like" what attributes are you looking for? if you just want ot keep navigation on the left, and have content change in the right area. Then use div's to create your layout and change the content from page to page.

Create a single div wrapper, and within the wrapper create a sidebar div and a content div. Use CSS to float the sidebar div to which ever side you choose. Make sure that your widths do not go over the wrapper width otherwise the divs will stack.