• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

From Corel 9 to Corel 12

Jillbeans

I am again a babe in the woods. Two years ago I taught myself (sorta) Corel 9 with MUCH trial and error. I recently got a new computer with XP and I just got Corel 12. Installed it yesterday, and just now tried it out.

I have a few questions, and it's easier to ask them here than to rummage around elsewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#1: The pointer (selection tool) has little pop-up notes whenever you click on anything that say things like "node"...is there a way to turn this off? It's annoying.

#2: How to I get a regular contour box to display like in Corel 9 (one that offers thickness options, ot inside contours etc.) All I can find so far on the toolbar is a weird interactive contour button that looks like it should do what I need, but I can't make it work.

#3: When I make a box, and try to stretch it, it seems like it wants to lock onto any text I've typed. I know this is probably not specific enough of a description. This also seems to involve question #1. Is there a way to turn this off?

#4: When exporting as a .jpg, is there a little "lock" button somewhere to keep things proportionate? This has some sort of a percentage button that I can't figure out.

Hopefully I will eventually be able to work my way around, but for now, this new Corel is as confusing to me as Corel 9 was! I still have to load all my "custom" fonts, too.
:thankyou:
Love.....Jill

dclet

#1 tools - options - display - uncheck "show tool tips"
#2 Though I can't remember what ver 9 was like :) contour box is ctrl-f9, unless you're talking about strokes...
#3 edit menu - turn off "snap to objects"
#4 keep proportions - click "maintain aspect ratio" in .jpg export options.

Jill,
For the controls that you are looking for...

Windows Menu >>> Dockers (select the dockers that you want)

When exporting jpegs, we usually drop the percentage to 10% for images that will ne viewed via email (not printing). For exported file sizes - Corel has a size limitation, and really large files/images will shrink and distort when one of the sides reaches its max limit. This will become visible/evident in your preview box.

Jillbeans

Wow, thanks.
What a difference!
I am still having trouble with the contour thing but can probably figure it out eventually.
You folks are a huge help.
Love.....Jill

weaselboogie

Everytime I install corel fresh, I always goto options, turn off the snap guides, turn off type assist (if its spelt wrong, it will have a red line under it) and change the undo levels to 200. If you have a design that you're not crazy about, copy it, undo to the point where it started to go wrong, and then paste. Now you have where you were and where you've been to create something new but still having those reference points.

I've found that sometimes the transform toolbar isn't there sometimes too. That's were you can type in actual sizes instead of dragging.]

Don't drag with the contour tool is my best tip, it will take too long. Make sure you have the OUTSIDE contour set and then type in your size. Experiment with a square to make sure you have it right.

iSign

If you have a design that you're not crazy about, copy it, undo to the point where it started to go wrong, and then paste. Now you have where you were and where you've been to create something new but still having those reference points.

I do that a lot in illustrator too... but after I copy, I have to open a new window and paste right away.... because the first "undo" that I ask for will undo the "copy" command.