• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heat marks when sublimating plaques

Nismoasfuh

Okay so I Definitely don't have the best heat press, but I can't seem to ever get the adjustment just right to avoid getting these heat marks. I'm assuming these are heat marks as they are the same grooves (shape) as the heating plate (pics show this). The pics show the heat marks I am talking about, they go all the way over and are consistent and even just like the heating plate itself of course. As far as my procedure for actually pressing: I heat up my aluminum a bit to get out moisture, wait for cool down, tape up, and place two sheets of copy paper or use a heavier stock and clamp with what seems like not even much pressure, and these are the results. Any tips and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_9913.JPG
IMG_9914.JPG

IMG_9917.JPG
IMG_9913.JPG

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

stoliker

We use Viva brand paper towels instead of copy paper. It helps even out the pressure in case everything is not perfectly flat. Just make sure it doesnt have a pattern on the towel. Youtube Conde systems. They have some great tutorials.

Nismoasfuh

Thanks for the replies! As mpn suggested, less pressure was the fix! I basically got it to the point where clamping was basically effortless but this seems to be the solution. Just less pressure! Thank you thank you thank you!

mpn

No problem. I've run into the same issue and that's usually the fix. Almost seems like there's no pressure at all on certain plaques / substrates. The videos suggested above are a great resource.