• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How can I widen trim on installed channel letters

Kirby

I have a customer who wants to essentially widen the trimcap on his existing, direct mount, illuminated channel letters. We thought about edging it with vinyl but we are concerned about gaps. Other options?

C

ColoPrinthead

Order new faces with wider trim? I don't know it would be possible to pull the trim off without damaging the faces.

Kirby

Customer has white acrylic face channel letters on a light colored facade. He is concerned that the black trimcap does not allow the letters to "pop off of the building." So he wants to widen the black edges.

This sign has been up for 6 years. He just bought the company. No one knows the original manufacturer.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
No on ever views channel letters straight on but....

What color are the returns?

You can try day/night vinyl over the whole face. Though I don't recommend if the returns are black, if the letters are close together, that would make it hard to read...

Attachments

• PF-DuLite-Stevenson University_pic4_1.jpg
    PF-DuLite-Stevenson University_pic4_1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 120

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just do what 2B suggested. In fact, if anyone in your shop has a steady hand, you don't even need the tape part. Just cut it in and be done with it.

visual800

I wouldnt even waste my time with this, its not going to make a difference. Hell you might as well paint the dam returns!

Marlene

the cans are black (?) with black trim cap and white faces? inline with paint or vinyl but it won't make much of a difference and since they are lighted letters, the night time letters will have less light coming thru the faces. any reaqson why he can't switch to a red faced letter or some other color? that is pretty easy to do. not everythign has to "pop" to get attention

Kirby

Thanks all for the input.

A couple of you suggested ordering new faces. I thought fit could be an issue if you do not order from the original manufacturer. Not a concern?

I have tried to attach a photo. Trim and returns are black.

Attachments

• Dentistry.jpg
    Dentistry.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 107

Billct2

Yep, a vinyl overlay, either day/night like Rick suggested (but not black) or a regular translucent color (that will work with the black).

Marlene

who sold them white letters on a white background? adding black to it won't help. the night day would be OK but just how much business does a dentist do at night? not much I would assume so adding a translucent colored vinyl to the faces might help his day time and help him be seen during office hours.