• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to accomplish this with Illy?

crny1

In the attached example there is a purple border around a JPG. Is there a way to make the border gradually fade into the picture on the inside edge of the border. Want the outside edge to remain full opacity. I am guessing with a transparent gradient but if the border is all one shape is there a way?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    843.7 KB · Views: 355

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
a gradient can only be linear or radial in Illustrator. You likely cannot do this in Illustrator. This function is much easier in Photoshop and there are numerous tutorials online for this

Dan360

Use gradient meshes. You'll have to play with them a bit. Put points all around the edge of the picture and sample the color at the point in the picture that it is touching for each point.

crny1

Everything I have found online for PS shows how to make the image edge fade and I know how to do that with feather. Just cant find anything regarding the shape and fading the edge of it.

crny1

Yes both those example are what I am looking for but the shape is more complex than just a rectangle which complicates things. I just used the rectangle as a example. Attached is the clients shape. The bottom trapezoid will have a picture behind it showing in the white area. I need the inside edge of the purple to fade to the jpg behind it. Its all one shape at this point.

Attachments

• example 2.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 337

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You would:

- Copy the white area of the trapezoid shape and paste in front

- 0ffset Path the white area of the trapezoid shape (inner and outer)

- Compound the 2 shapes (creating a thick border)

- Delete the pasted shape

- Feather as needed (make sure preview is on so you can see the fade as you adjust)

- Again, paste in front the original white area of the trapezoid shape

- Select the newly feathered shape and newly pasted trapezoid shape and mask

- Bob's Yer Uncle!

Last edited:

Brandon One Look

purple-01-01.jpg
I would place the photo onto a purple box. Then select the photo and then choose Effect / Stylize / Feather. You can then Object / Rasterize and choose Transparent background.

Last edited:

crny1

You would:

- Copy the white area of the trapezoid shape and paste in front

- 0ffset Path the white area of the trapezoid shape (inner and outer)

- Compound the 2 shapes (creating a thick border)

- Delete the pasted shape

- Feather as needed (make sure preview is on so you can see the fade as you adjust)

- Again, paste in front the original white area of the trapezoid shape

- Select the newly feathered shape and newly pasted trapezoid shape and mask

- Bob's Yer Uncle!
Are you refering to PS or Illy?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
View attachment 132937 I would place the photo onto a purple box. Then select the photo and then choose Effect / Stylize / Feather. You can then Object / Rasterize and choose Transparent background.

Well played, I didn't even remotely think about that, you don't even have to rasterize with transparency, it worked fine without it... and it works on odd shapes too...

Thanks!