• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to avoid scuffs/scratches from squeegee??

Reaction GFX

We don't usually install our own wraps. In fact, we just don't do very many wraps, but when we do, we print/laminate and we have someone else install. We mostly do flat signs and simple vehicle graphics. I've got a small, really simple wrap job that I need to install in a few days, it's a six foot wide cross section of a passenger jet at a local children's museum, so other than the curve of the round plane body itself, it's basically a flat install. Printed panels are mostly a solid blue printed on IJ-180CV3, laminated with Arlon 3220 luster.

Here's the question: How the heck do I apply this without leaving scuffs and scratches from my felt squeegee all over the vinyl? I'm using a MacTac-style felt squeegee...am I using the wrong squeegee? I've tried using a regular squeegee with the soft half of velcro applied to the edge with the same results. I also read that applying some heat from a heat gun after applying will eliminate the scuffs/scratches, but I just tested that and while it does reduce the visibility of the scratches somewhat, they are still visible. I've never been able to figure this one out. Flat signs we usually apply with a laminator, so they end up looking really nice with zero scratches. I have definitely had this issue applying smaller printed vehicle graphics, but it has yet to be an issue with any of our customers. For this job, being in a museum, I'm really concerned about the scratches. I should have used a cast matte lam so the scratches wouldn't be a concern, but too late now.

I appreciate any and all input!!

TimToad

We use these for nearly all of our squeegeing. They are 2.5" x 5" x .50" thick solid felt. We use a large spray bottle with a couple drops of dish soap just like in the good 'ol pre-RapidTac days and wet the front surface of our print. The felt just glides along and if you need to you can really apply some pressure without it scratching. For really delicate materials where someone didn't wet the surface enough and got fine scratches we use Mother's PowerPlastic polish and it really works great.

attachment.php

Attachments

• felt-squeegee-01.jpg
    felt-squeegee-01.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 2,460

phototec

I use what they call the wet edge squeegees, covered with two layers of Ultra Suede, however I make my own.

Just go to the local fabric store and purchase some Ultra Suede, then I apply the first piece (4"x1") along one edge using double sided banner tape, and then apply the second layer (4"x2") over the fist piece.

I use RapidTac application fluid, (however you can use water wit a few drops of dish washing liquid), in a spray bottle and keep the area wet when squeegeeing, no scratches..

Attachments

• WES-lg.jpg
    WES-lg.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 483
  • -2Pcs-Lot-Flexible-Soft-Material-Hand-Applicator-Wet-Squeegee-For-Car-Wrapping-.jpg
    -2Pcs-Lot-Flexible-Soft-Material-Hand-Applicator-Wet-Squeegee-For-Car-Wrapping-.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 300

ams

Use a higher quality wrap squeegee. I think it's from Avery they have a blue and red one with a microfiber cloth. If the felt doesn't go edge to edge and any part of the squeegee is uncovered, it can scratch.
Also squeegee lightly not hard and powerful.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
As mentioned the squeegee itself can make a huge difference. Top of the line squeegees from Geek Wraps and the "wet edge" from Image One are the best. Particularly if you wet them. We pretty much use the Geek Wrap ones for everything nowadays. The laminate can also make a big difference. Some show squeegee scratches more than others. 3M's Envision laminate is by far the best for being resistant to squeegee marks - we use a lot of the gloss 8548G. As you experimented with, heat can also make them go away and it can make them go away completely. You may need a torch though and its a fine line between hitting it enough to totally eliminate the scratches and causing a burn mark....

Zac

Mediocre Designer
I also use the GeekWrap orange/double suede. They are great but you always want to use them wet as they will trap dirt/dust and that's what will cause the scratches when dry.

With most scratches on wraps you can just reheat the area to polish them out. But definitely a pain if it's all over the vehicle.

Reaction GFX

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to have to look into a few of these options. One thing, from my experience, getting a thick felt squeegee (again, Mac-tac style, for lack of a better way to describe it) wet basically just ruins the squeegee because it expands (sometimes almost doubling in size) and you lose any sharp edge it once had. These things are like $16/ea, so I don't think I'll be going that route. I will definitely look into the other options mentioned here though. Thanks again.

Baz

I don't worry about the scuffs ... I blow torch it after it's installed. Works great for me.

Note that i am using Avery MPI1005 with Dol1060 as laminate.

TimToad

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to have to look into a few of these options. One thing, from my experience, getting a thick felt squeegee (again, Mac-tac style, for lack of a better way to describe it) wet basically just ruins the squeegee because it expands (sometimes almost doubling in size) and you lose any sharp edge it once had. These things are like $16/ea, so I don't think I'll be going that route. I will definitely look into the other options mentioned here though. Thanks again.

I disagree. Its after the big thick all felt pads swell up with liquid that they do the best job with the least amount of scratching or "pushing" of the vinyl.

What shape are the rollers on your laminator? Round

Rolling any of these digital media materials onto a substrate is by far the most effective method.

I've found the most damage occurs to prints when someone is using a sharp edged squeegee or tool and it wants to dig into the print from either too much force or the plastic wearing through that thin felt cover.

MikePro

LOVE my felt squeege "blocks". i just damp it with soapy water and not a scratch on my vinyl, unless I'm lazy and allow it to get covered with dust/crap from setting it on the floor & rubbing those particles all-over the wrap.

+1 to it applying my wraps better after becoming "swollen". i'll still use a regular squeegee on occasion, but I'll add a little wetness or wrap it with a microfiber rag if I feel scratching would be an issue on some spots.

trik

Baz is correct above, use a torch or heat gun and watch the scratches go away. We do the same. Geekwrap squeeges we use a lot and still get the scuff marks, but they come right out with a little heat. Good luck!