• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to remove a background

shirtsource

A customer gave me a picture to do a fathead type thing out of. Is there and easy way to cut the background out so only the person is left.

thanks,

brian

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If you have Photoshop you can manually select the edges of what you want to retain and either mask or delete the background. There are any number of plugins that can make this go quicker and easier. Fluid Mask gives a fully functional free trial version.

If you don't have an image editor such as Photoshop, then you will need to lay down a vector in your FlexiSign around the image you want to retain and then apply it as a mask to the image. See the help files in Flexi for how to do it.

P

ProWraps™

layer mask, and a 6 pack off coors light. blow that pile up as large as you can, layer mask it, and go to town. use straight lines on straight lines, use circles and ovals on curves, take your time, and charge him. then go get a job at a celebrity mag. cause you now do the same stuff they do to make those mindless rich idiots look skinny.

weaselboogie

Or you could just print, lam and then HAND cut it to shape. That would probably be quicker than doing it on screen.

Ken

I agree with weasel..somtimes the razor knife is much quicker.
With corel, there is photo-Paint that allows you to isolate an image. In photshop, there are a couple of ways. If it's just a one-off...use Mack the Knife.
Cheers!
Ken
BTW, I downloaded Fluid Mask..so far I've found it not so easy or intuitive as they claim..still have 12 days to go...

Air Art Girl

click on edit bitmap, it will open corel photo paint. You can use the magic want to mask the image then clip it out or erase outside the mask, click remove mask then save, it will automaticially save the new image in the open regular corel file. Close the photo paint and you will see the edited version in the open corel file.

(Forgot to add: when the image opens in photo paint, down at the bottom right across from the trash can, click on the button that says "creates an object from background" ) Do this first.

Last edited:

Bill43mx

Here's the step by step process we use. I don't do it often enough to remember so I made this "cheat sheet":

1-Import into Coreldraw
2-Click "Edit Bitmap"
3-Use magic wand and paintbrush to mask image.
4-Open Object Docker
5-Right click on "Background" and click "Duplicate Selected"
6-Click on "Background" and then delete by clicking the trash can.
7-Crop Image
8-Select "Mask", "Mask Outline", "Expand" Try 1 or 2 pixels and accept.
9-Select "Mask", "Mask Outline", "Feather" (Width 3, Direction Outside,Edges Linear) Accept
10-Select "eraser tool", Click on Background, Press Delete key
11-Select "Mask", "Invert"
12-Clean up background with eraser tool
13-Click "Save" icon and image will be saved back to Coreldraw

NOTE: This process does not change the origional image and it only saves the modified image in coreldraw.

ndemond

Just copied and pasted both post above and emailed them to myself. I have struggled with this for years and years. (Never read the help file:Oops:) and just today spent an hour doing it my way. I can't explain my way cause it was trial and error. Thank you both so much. See an old lady can learn new tricks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
  • Load the image on your computer into a software program that can read it.
  • Print it out on an 8-1/2" x 11' sheet.
  • Take a scissors and cut it out.
  • Lay it on a new full sheet of 8-1/2" x 11" sheet.
  • Scan it again and......... there ya go.

TonyHoles

1. select pen tool
2. make fill clear
3. make stoke a spot color
4. make the stroke .25pt
5. once it's outlined, select both the image and the pen outline.
6. right click, select make clipping mask
7. save as .eps file
8. open that eps in versaworks
9. print and cut or print, then remove laminate and reload to cut only

don't forget to include crop marks in versaworks if printing and lamniating

:beer

Maverick Signs

right on brian. cut out lab is the way to go. is verry close to knockout.
if i need it to contour it i just duplicate it after its back in corel, set my nudge distance, nudge it over then bring it into photo paint, create mask from object, fill it black, bring it back to draw and auto trace. nudge the tace image back over kill the fill, set the cut color and ill usualy power clip the object into the cut path. takes about 5 min at most.

flyinhawaiian968

because adobe and corel sound so alike

BWAAHAAHAHAAAA!!!! Funny!!!!!

Anyways, nobody has talked about using the freehand tool in draw yet! I usually just stitch around the image, go back and edit nodes so they are just a hair inside of the image, then get back to selection tool. My new curve should be selected, so I shift-select the image (now I have 2 objects selected), then click on intersect (which only works in X3, not in 11 which I still have loaded at home. May work in other versions too).

I now have the item which I can now drop into photoshop for some edging, or just use it as is in Corel. The curve I created can also be used with powerclipping the image into it, or even creating a box larger than the image, combining the box and curve together, then trimming the image (also doesn't work in 11, but does in X3).

And yes, I know this is in the Corel forum, but this fits the thread more than the forum its in-- export the clipped image as a psd, then open in ps. select edge in ps, feather edge, then hit delete! Softens the edge quite nicely, and if you have a transparent background, it will soften it into a transparent edge! Did this with the fish design for our last boat wrap!!!

Chris