• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HS 15 Plus issues

Marlene

I've had my HS 15 Plus for a while and it works great except over the past few months, I've notice that straight lines in fonts are wavy and the center of "O" "g" and such are off on the insdie cut. it seems to be worst at the bottom of the vinyl towards the key pad and not as bad at the top. is there a fix for this? could the rubber roller be worn down? we are thinking we need to replace the machine but since it runs so well and always has, I'd like to see if we can fix the old girl

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not saying it is the problem, but I would check on the condition of the toothed belt (the Theta belt) that turns the tool head. Also check to see if your plotter's blade position is set to cut on the x-axis when you turn on the plotter and if it cuts a wavy line with just an x-axis move in various positions up and down the drum.

If the Theta belt is too loose or has lost a tooth, that could cause symptoms like you are describing. I think it's doubtful that the drum is out of round or causing the problem.

Marlene

thanks Fred for the help Fred. I'll take a look at both of those to see if it is a simple fix. if not, she has done her duty for years and just may need to go to that big rest home for plotters.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Among other simple fixes, are you in the habit of lubricating the oil port on the bronze oilite bearing that rotates the tool head? It is located on the bottom of the bearing you see when you remove the toll head cover. Rotating the shaft brings it to the top so you can add one drop of oil every six months.

Marlene

I've never taken the tool head cover off. when I look at it, there are two screws on the side that faces the knife blade, if I take those out, will it lift off?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yes. You will then see the theta belt and the oilite bearing with a chrome shaft running through the middle of it. Check the condition of all the teeth on the theta belt and rotate the oil port up and add one drop of sewing machine or 3-in-One oil.

Marlene

is this the hole? sorry to keep bugging you but I really appreciate the help

Attachments

• that hole.jpg
    that hole.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 80

Marlene

THANK YOU!!!!!! I put the oil in that little hole and did a test run on the lettering that came out all wavy this morning and it is beautiful!! the old girl is ready for another decade of making letters! if I haven't said it enough lately, I love this site. when I have had a problem, I have always gotten the help needed. it is nice to know I have people out ther that I can count on!!! thanks Fred!:U Rock:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
While you have the oil out, put some on a paper towel (preferably not a used one) and wipe a thin film on all the shiny shafts of the machine. On the feed in side, look for the black lifter bar and inspect it for scraps of vinyl and debris that might be stuck to it and clean any off that you find.

Repeat this process including the drop of oil in the theta bearing once every six months.

Marlene

thanks, I oil the bar and keep it clean but had no idea that I should take the cover off and oil in there too.

G

Ginger

I have been using an HS15 plus for about 10 years now and love it, what a work horse! I had no idea about oiling the head either, thanks for the great info. We had our drum replaced a year ago and it hasn't ran nearly as well since then :( Is there anyone you recommend to service them?

I agree signs101 is a super great resource.

Thanks!

smdgrfx

What about actually adjusting/fine tunning the x/y cutting axis? I replaced my theta belts about a year ago and my tool head now sits a bit crooked. It works fine with the swivel knife, but cannot use a drag knife for nothing. Every time I call Gerber, they call me back when I'm not available. I got tired of calling. Anyone know where I can find instructions on how to adjust this?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What about actually adjusting/fine tunning the x/y cutting axis? I replaced my theta belts about a year ago and my tool head now sits a bit crooked. It works fine with the swivel knife, but cannot use a drag knife for nothing. Every time I call Gerber, they call me back when I'm not available. I got tired of calling. Anyone know where I can find instructions on how to adjust this?

• Remove covers.
  • Turn on plotter and observe the homing motion to locate the collar clamp connected to the shaft that rotates the tool head.
  • Loosen collar clamp so that head can be rotated freely.
  • With a piece of vinyl in the plotter, manually lower the tool head until blade touches the vinyl.
  • Briefly slew the vinyl to the left which will cause the blade to seek the path of least resistance, which is also the home position.
  • Tighten collar clamp and cut a few letters.
  • If cut is good, replace covers and you're done.

smdgrfx

Fred, those instructions are awesome! I'm going to do it tomorrow. I love my Edge and HS15. I don't know how I would get along without them. Thanks a bunch!!

Last edited:

Service Sign Co

My HS 15 is just starting to show signs of wear & tear after 16 yrs of use. Just marking the post so to go back later and check those components.

VTSigns

I am having a similar issue it sounds like. I have the Envision 375. I'm having problems with my start stop point. For instance, on a O the start stop point doesn't match up so when I weed the letter it has a snag where the start stop point is. I called Gerber and spoke with someone and they seemed to think my Z axis was sticky. I cleaned and oiled the rods on each side of the tool carriage. Prior to doing this my carriage would not spring back up without being a little sticky. After cleaning and oiling the rods the carriage springs back up like it should (at least as much as I can tell). Does anyone (Fred?) have any suggestions as to what to do next? Gerber says to replace the tool carriage assembly? To me it would seem that there is an issue with the X or Y axis and not the Z axis. Is my thinking correct? Any help would be appreciated.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I am having a similar issue it sounds like. I have the Envision 375. I'm having problems with my start stop point. For instance, on a O the start stop point doesn't match up so when I weed the letter it has a snag where the start stop point is. I called Gerber and spoke with someone and they seemed to think my Z axis was sticky. I cleaned and oiled the rods on each side of the tool carriage. Prior to doing this my carriage would not spring back up without being a little sticky. After cleaning and oiling the rods the carriage springs back up like it should (at least as much as I can tell). Does anyone (Fred?) have any suggestions as to what to do next? Gerber says to replace the tool carriage assembly? To me it would seem that there is an issue with the X or Y axis and not the Z axis. Is my thinking correct? Any help would be appreciated.

Not the same problem at all since the Envision uses only a swivel knife and the HS-15 uses a tangential tool head and thus requires the establishment of a home position for the Theta (rotational) axis.

I have, however, had the problem you describe for as long as I've had my Envision 375. It occurs on small, circular cuts. Along the way I have never seen any improvement on the problem after ...

• replacing the blade
  • replacing the cutting strip
  • replacing the blade holder
  • replacing the carriage
  • running through the calibration routines
  • slowing down the cutting speed
  • cleaning and lubricating
I long ago concluded that it was just a limit one reaches beyond which the plotter will not perform well.

Marlene

just wanted to add that since I put the drop of oil in the little hole in the photo, the plotter has been cutting like it is brand new. there's no wavy straight lines and centers of "o" line up perfectly! thanks again Fred for taking the time to help!