• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator CC in OSX Mavericks

JLD984

I've just bought a new iMac, the most powerful model with the upgraded processor, double the RAM, flash hard drive and even upgraded the graphics card. After installing Illustrator CC I've noticed it's still painfully slow when it comes to drop shadows, outer glows etc. I'd heard a whisper Illustrator CC struggles in Mavericks, is this true? Is this the problem or am I doing something wrong?

CES020

I don't do a lot of drop shadows in Illustrator, but I just tried it on on a 2.8GHz i7 running 16 GB of RAM. I made 12" tall text and applied a .25" drop shadow to it and it rendered pretty quickly. Running Mavericks as well. It's not instant, but it was maybe 2 seconds for 8 letters 12" tall.

Got any examples so we can compare the same thing/times?

nikdoobs

Are you applying these effects to large scale drawings? Drop shadows and outer-glow effects create raster data within illustrator and increase file size significantly. I normally only apply these effects on 8.5" x 11" small scale drawings. It's way faster that way.

shoresigns

Effects > Document Raster Settings > Set an appropriate "proof" resolution for your artwork until it comes time to print, then turn it up to 75/150/300 depending on the application. Problem solved!

Another good trick when you're working with large complex designs in Illustrator is to turn off "PDF compatible" when you save your AI file. That will help to keep the file size from bloating out of control.

p3

Curious, have you installed any of the Mavericks updates? I had issues when I first got my macbook pro with illustrator running into "out of memory" errors. Since the recent updates though, I haven't had any issues since.