• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator

synergy_jim

Total training and classroom in a book are both great resources. The best is sit down with someone who knows it and watch and ask questions.

I'm the opposite end of the spectrum, I can dance like crazy in Illustrator, but Corel to me seems clunky and hard to use....

Suz

Me too, Corel Fan here bigtime! I have Corel X3. My Graphics (on Computers) started first with an early version of Aldus Freehand, I think verison 1.1, then Macromedia 1.2.. So you would think I'd be a big Illustrator user by now. Not the case!

I used my Freehand until Macromedia Freehand 9, and still have it. Then switched to Corel X3 when the price was too good to pass up, now I really love Corel. When I try to use Illustrator (CS2) it's not so fluid for me because I don't use it every day. I just have it to make opening Customer's files easier, or saving files in Illustrator if that is what my Customer prefers. I do have the Total Training videos mentioned in an earlier post and find them very helpful as well! That is when I use Illustrator.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Greetings!

Ok, I admit it -I'm a big Corel fan.

rjssigns

Maybe I'm the odd ball, but it floors me how forum members have such an aversion to school. Could I work Ai and PS before I went back to school? Yes.

But now I'm able to knock out work in minutes that would take who knows how long since I had to Google how to do things. Or watch painfully inadequate tutorials that left out key steps and wonder what went wrong.

Again I don't know what the big deal is. For about 400 bucks you can go to our local tech school for 15 weeks. You will spend around 3 to 4 hours once a week in class. That's it.

Somewhere between 45-60 hours and you're done. Probably less since instructors will allow you to "kick"(leave) after the lecture/assignment part. You are welcome to stay in lab to finish your work if you prefer.

I guarantee you will have a much better more in depth understanding than you will ever get from a book. They are required to teach the core of the program and hammer it home.

If stepping into a classroom with a bunch of kids scares you take an online course. You will really get hammered in those since the only way to judge proficiency is through submitted works.

There is nothing like being able to raise your hand in class and say: "Hey I don't get this" and have a professional walk you through until you do.

ddubia

rjs, that is a great suggestion. It's making me consider looking into it. I can always make use of being faster. Plus, there some things I want to do but am not totally sure of how to pull it off and don't have time to "google study" the process. That makes me fall back on what I already know just to knock the job out. Yeah, it's good work. But man I wish I could have done that other thing.

When I went to technical school for graphic design all of our courses were out of Adobe's Classroom in a Book series.

I know several instructors at tech schools now and they use a lot of material from Lynda.com.

I'm a prepress trainer and I would highly recommend Lynda.com.

Anything from Mordy Golding is good for Illustrator http://mordy.com

Anything from Deke McClelland is great for Photoshop and Illustrator. http://www.deke.com

Hope this helps...