• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Imported DXF files have shapes broken into line segments

SqueeGee

I'm importing files that are only available as DXF's. When they come into CorelDraw(I'm running X5 but also have the same issue in X3), some shapes come in fine while others are broken into multiple segments. I've tried combining the segments and auto closing the curve but that doesn't always work correctly. The only workaround I've found so far is manually combining nodes at open segments. There's got to be a better solution and I'm really hoping that someone here will share it!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
got a small sample with the problem you can post up to take a look at?

wayne k
guam usa

Techman

Some dfx files use the autocad format. They come in as line segments instead of arcs.

You join them using the weld command. And you can export them as arcs using a tool called dfxtools that will come out with the proper curves.

swplus

I use x3 and those AutoCad files are a real pain. I was welding everything togther, trying to get rid of duplicate line segments...bashing my head against the wall. I realised it's quicker and easier to just recreate all of the shapes and replace the mess that is there.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
AutoCAD uses a completely different approach to drawing objects than CorelDRAW. Everything is basically rendered as line segments rather than a bunch of closed paths.

For example, to draw a brick wall AutoCAD will make the "texture" as a bunch of 2 point open line segments. In CorelDRAW you would create a bunch of closed rectangles organized into a repeating pattern.

With projects that need a high degree of precision, I'll lock down imported AutoCAD artwork on one layer (after getting it sized to the right scale) and then draw new, clean, closed paths over the top of it. I often do this when reproducing building elevations.

A quick and dirty approach: take the artwork into Adobe Illustrator. Give the open path lines a certain amount of stroke width. Enough that all the gaps between open paths are filled. You have a few options to choose at this point. You can expand all those line strokes, weld them together then break them apart to individually color the resulting closed path objects. Or you can use smart fill tools to create new objects. CorelDRAW has some of the same capability, but seems a little more crash-prone when doing stuff like this.

petepaz

we have this same problem and have no solution other then recreating the file or welding it. which ever we feel will go quicker. dxf, dwg or any kind of cad file will do this and not good for artwork/reproduction

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If you can contact the person who gave you the file, they can convert that into a polyline and it will be together. It may be faceted depending on the steps that are called out, the more steps, the smoother the arc.