• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

inconsistant fonts

DizzyMarkus

Sorry about the thread title :0) -- I was kind of unsure exactly what to call it.

I have to use the word BOXING, one letter per window and no Kerning lol. White w/ blue border(outline)

So here is the issues-- Type the word in plain ole IMPACT at 8" tall, the B, X,I and N are 7.6" and the O,G are 8". So I thought it strange and tried the same with ARIAL figuring such a common used font surely shouldn't act the same. Sure enough-- set @ 6.5" tall -- the B, X,I and N are 6.28" and the O,G being 6.5".

When trying to align on each window would someone kindly share a trick to "measure" for alignment? It seems if I proportionaly lower the two "larger" letters they look much smaller.

Thank you greatly for any insight to this,
Markus

Attachments

• Text_confusion.pdf
    27.5 KB · Views: 71

DizzyMarkus

My apoligies, first cup here also :0)

I was asking if this was normal and thank you Pat for that answer. If the text was staying in a long run that would be easy hehe -- they are individual letters across 6 windows -- one per.

The alignment question was for applying the letter to the window and having them all the same height. EXAMPLE -- if the B,X,I,N are all 4" from the bottom of the window the O and G will surely be slightly closer as they are a touch bigger. I want them to appear straight when viewed not up and down either across the top or bottom. So measuring each decal for install, I can not simply measure 4" off the bottom across each window and have the letters come out the same height. I am thinking I just may need to just subtract the small difference when installing -- I can figure it within Flexi.

thank you,
Markus

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I will usually cut weed and mask it as one word then draw a straight line on the baseline. Roll the graphic up and go to the site. Cut the letters apart on site and measure off the line for consistent and level height.

If you leave it as one graphic you know you have all your letters. You can draw a line on the top of the lettering as well. Just depends on how you like to install and the specific site.

I use the same method for fonts that don't have a consistent baseline. Pick two of the same letters far enough apart to get an accurate baseline and draw a line and measure or level from there.

Untitled-1.jpg

Marlene

I will usually cut weed and mask it as one word the draw a straight line on the baseline. Roll the graphic up and go to the site. Cut the letters apart on site and measure off the line for consistent and level height.

+1

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Round top and bottom letters are supposed to extend a bit beyond the base and/or top lines. If they didn't they would appear to be too small relative to flat top and bottom letters.

The easy way is to do this...

Set the type as a single word.

Spread out the letters so that you can add a rectangle around each letter. Make the rectangle such that the top of the rectangle is the top of the window. Make sure that the rectangles are all lined up horizontally at the top. If you really want to be clever, make one of the sides of the rectangle the side of the window.

Cut the text and the rectangles. Weed each rectangle.

Mask the whole thing and then cut out each rectangle. Now you should have six masked rectangles, each with one letter of the word 'BOXING'

To apply just butt the top of each rectangle against the top of each window and, if you centered each one on its window properly or you made one edge of the bounding rectangle align to a side of the window, the text will be properly aligned. The extensions of the 'O' and the 'G' above and below the base and top lines, will be properly placed relative to the flat top/bottom letters.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I have done that before as well Bob, but it depends on the amount of waste vinyl, added time to weed and trim to the boxes, versus time it saves on the install.

DizzyMarkus

Thanks for all the responses -- I can not print as one word -- hence my problem and question ;0) I most always draw a light center line for installs. I only have a SP-300v and the letters are to large. So far as simple as it sounds, I think I will just use the reggy marks :0)

thanks for that idea.

Markus

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I have done that before as well Bob, but it depends on the amount of waste vinyl, added time to weed and trim to the boxes, versus time it saves on the install.

Waste vinyl? If you're not charging for what you're unrolling you're not doing it right. There is no waste vinyl, it's all paid for.

Extra time to weed? As in grab a corner of the rectangle and pull? It's easier to weed this way than as a single word.

Trim to the boxes? You have to cut out each letter anyway and if you can't set an Xacto knife down and pull a straight line with it, especially if there's a big tasty edge you're following, you're in the wrong business.

Even if there were additional costs to doing it this way, which there are not, the time saved installing it should more than cover them.

DizzyMarkus

Final outcome ---

I measured center both vertical and horizontal , drew a line for both and now have absolute center of each letter no matter the size. +

I will tape the window and measure alignment marks there :0) Thanks a ton for all the responses and ideas. I had never realized fonts were like that -- learning daily lol

thank you,
Markus

John L

You can also draw a rectangle around the letters on your screen the exact size of the window glass. Then use measure tools to make a mounting drawing that shows the dimensions from the window edge. When you stand back and look, it will look correct.