• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Inconsistant results

Photolew

Im new to the sublimation world. I recently purchased a Ricoh 7700 printer and a Geo Knight Combo press with the mug press.

One thing that is frustrating me is that I seem to be getting inconsistant results. For starters on the edges of mug (closest to the handle) the image many times fades a bit. But not always

As you can see in this image.

Settings are 400F for 4:30 min. Is this a pressure thing, a time thing, both...neither.

photo attached of this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_2887.jpg
    IMG_2887.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 159

Photolew

And the other issue I am having is that as Im doing a batch of mugs, using the same settings, I get inconsistant results. The attached photo isnt' the best but on the right side you hopefully can see how it is faded and not as good color as the mug on the left. These were done a few min apart on the same press.....

What am I missing?

Again same settings as abover 400F @ 4:30

Attachments

• IMG_2888.jpg
    IMG_2888.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 140

Bern

I would think it is a pressure issue . There may be differences in the diameter of different mugs and they are receiving less pressure closer to the handle . I bought a second hand mug wrap and found the mug wraps were able to achieve more consistent results and the image was able to printed from the lip of the mug to the base and closer to the handle than the mug press . When you clamp the mug in your press can you feel a difference in the pressure required to close the handle from mug to mug ? Edit I was typing like a snail when John posted above .

Photolew

Mugs different sizes?
this would mean pressure is different from one mug to another.

John

Well they are the same "stock" but I suppose its possible there is some slight variation in diameter from mug to mug. I'll just clamp it down harder and see what happens.

Have you checked your press for consistent platen area temperature?

For fear of sounding more dumb that I already admit to being..what tool would I use to do that. Im smart enough not to use my finger.....:Big Laugh

mpn

Well they are the same "stock" but I suppose its possible there is some slight variation in diameter from mug to mug. I'll just clamp it down harder and see what happens.

For fear of sounding more dumb that I already admit to being..what tool would I use to do that. Im smart enough not to use my finger.....:Big Laugh

Infrared thermometer. I also agree with the pressure issue above, just thought that ruling out heat variances would be a good idea.

Photolew

I'll crank er down a bit more.....I feel like Im going to crack the mugs...but pressure was my first guess as well..... When you have minimal experience terms like "firm pressure" is kinda vague

WildWestDesigns

Im new to the sublimation world. I recently purchased a Ricoh 7700 printer and a Geo Knight Combo press with the mug press.

One thing that is frustrating me is that I seem to be getting inconsistant results. For starters on the edges of mug (closest to the handle) the image many times fades a bit. But not always

As you can see in this image.

Settings are 400F for 4:30 min. Is this a pressure thing, a time thing, both...neither.

photo attached of this issue.

Another potential cause for your troubles is what's in bold.

The mugs that I sublimate like the duration to be at 6 minutes at 400F.

It could very well be both causing an issue. Geo Knights are typically better with even heat across the platen unless you bought someone else's "problem", but you could always get a pyrometer to test that out. Pressure and duration would be my first guess on this.

Photolew

Thought I'd come back to this thread and update it. after continued frustration I finally contacted the vendor I purchased the press from....they referred my questions to the manufacturer.

When all was said and done the issue was inconsistent heat in the
press...which is being fixed now

BobCap

Mugs

I have been doing mug sublimation for several years. Awhile back I decided to run a batch test. I donated a pile of mugs to the cause. Three main things surfaced.

Keeping the pressure at "Firm" Real FIRM. Haven't broken a mug yet.

Pre heat @ 345 degrees.

350 degrees - 120 Seconds - Light washed out image

350 degrees - 180 Seconds - Good blacks, good color!

400 degrees - 240 Seconds - Blacks turn to brown. Color getting fuzzy

So you now know my starting point.

Bob Cap
AAI
Gilbert, MN