• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Internet Upload Speeds

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Noticed today that the Comcast router has four Ethernet sockets on it, which is enough to take our switch/hub out of our LAN and plug in directly. To my surprise, all workstations now show speed test results of 174 M/bps for downloads. This is up from the 74 M/bps that some were testing at. Upload speeds remained unchanged though at 24 M/bps.

mahgninnuc1

Noticed today that the Comcast router has four Ethernet sockets on it, which is enough to take our switch/hub out of our LAN and plug in directly. To my surprise, all workstations now show speed test results of 174 M/bps for downloads. This is up from the 74 M/bps that some were testing at. Upload speeds remained unchanged though at 24 M/bps.

The switch you replaced was probably a 100 Mbps switch, and the internal switch in the comcast router is probably a 1000Mbps switch. When you removed the other switch you got rid of the bottleneck on your local network, but the upload speed was not restricted by your old switch.