• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is your shop prepared for the upcoming barter system?

Signarama Jockey

6ae21d212d0176ae-600x338.jpg

This whole coronal mass ejection stuff caught me by surprise. The aurora borealis was apparently visible from my back yard this past weekend and I didn't go out and see it. By the time I started getting this information, they were already talking about how something like this could wipe out all of the electronics and possibly cause a cascading grid down situation. Luckily, nothing bad happened, but this is kind of what I'm saying; I don't think we appreciate how close we are to the edge. Could be another totally-naturally-occuring-definitely-not-manmade virus, could be a solar flare, could be a terrorist act, could be a super-intelligent AI turning on humanity, could be a squirrel chewing through a cable at an electric substation outside of Niagara Falls... Sooner or later things are going to go down.

I'm rooting for the zombies or the virus, because my job relies so heavily on electricity. I can do what I do with a fever, but I'm dead in the water if I don't have power.

WildWestDesigns

I'm rooting for the zombies or the virus, because my job relies so heavily on electricity. I can do what I do with a fever, but I'm dead in the water if I don't have power.
Always have solar. That's the new thing now.

Why I have always been a big fan of analog ways of doing something. People are so beholding to their electronics that have abstracted so much away that people don't know how to do things before everything digital. Although, on the flip side, while I can do animation the old fashioned way and comics and still have my speedball and ames, drafting table, animation peg so I'm ready to go, the problem is if something really, really is bad, that isn't going to mean a lot until things start to settle down (thankfully the aggie will really come out at that point).

netsol

They say to put on your own mask first so that you don't pass out and are unable to help others around you. The message isn't save yourself first because you are more important and someone else might use up all the oxygen.

It's not about someone claiming they own something of yours, it's called compassion. I stay prepared, probably more so than many but am also prepared to help others if called on to do so. That's part of being a society and it's sad to see it breaking down. There's a marked difference with this entitled attitude of this current generation as compared to the Greatest Generation who had to endure WW2, they were everything but selfish. Maybe we are generationally too far removed from that era and those core values they had are not being passed down anymore? That's all I got, shouldn't have even posted in this, it just annoys me

Cricket Flour. I learn something new every day.
yah, I had to goo

gnubler

On a totally unrelated note, silver spot price is right around $30 per oz. 4 years ago today it was about $17 per oz.

...if spot means anything to you.
It fluctuates in value all the time, like everything else. Twelve years ago it was $50/oz and everyone got excited, as if it would never drop in price again. That was around the Sandy Hook era, when everyone went nuts with ammo as well.

Signarama Jockey

It fluctuates in value all the time, like everything else. Twelve years ago it was $50/oz and everyone got excited, as if it would never drop in price again. That was around the Sandy Hook era, when everyone went nuts with ammo as well.
Hard to believe that we used to put (in today's dollars) $2.25 worth of silver in each dime.

• Agree
Reactions: mpn

mpn

Y'all crazy if you really think folks won't need signs at the end of the world. Folks need to know how many caps for a case of shells, where to look out for ghouls, how far to new vegas. Now ADA, that sh*ts in the dumpster, but ya gotta know mad max doesn't want to be cruising around in a rusty death machine, but can certainly appreciate how much cooler his death machine would look, wrapped in a faux patina.
The true death of the sign industry is the teleporter!
Dig the Fallout reference.

mpn

Anyone have a favorite post apocalypse movie? Zombies, war, whatever...
I'm enjoying reading through this thread and finding the humor and also seeing the practical side of some of it.
My favorite movie if I had to pick one would be World War Z. (not really a Pitt fan though)
I think there's a lot of people are like me and Signorama (I think). It didn't start as "prepping" but the definition of "prepping" is what we've been doing for so long that now we have that label. I don't need to leave my house for a few months if I don't have to but it's not really because I'm a "prepper" it's more because I just enjoy canning, collecting rain-water, making my own soaps, spices, sauces, etc. I just made a years' worth of laundry soap for a couple bucks 2 weeks ago. Why? Because I'm cheap and because I enjoy it. 20 years ago when I planted my first tomato the word "prepping" wasn't even a thing.

There are a few things I did buy during covid that would set me up for longer term "shut downs". I certainly thought about what I might need. A person would be a fool to think the government is going to save everyone. Case in point - Hurricane Katrina. Superdome. No thanks. The government can't always be there to save or protect you. There have been places in the US the electric has gone out for 2 weeks, are you prepared to cook on a fire outside or will you be the first in line at the Red Cross tent fighting over a hot crappy meal?

It's not just "end of the world" it's every day stuff that happens we should be prepared for. And I'm not sharing with 90% of my neighbors. Most of them are losers who can't even cut their grass. You have something to bring to the table like you are big and strong and can chop wood for the fire I'm going to build to feed you my food? Then you can stay. LOL
I've grown up with the be prepared lifestyle and do not fall into the doomsday stuff. I've always wanted to make my own soap, it fascinates me for some reason.
During Covid my family and I were lucky and didn't need anything. We were able to be self sufficient and keep our business running albeit a bit tougher to keep the doors open.

Keep on keeping on.

WildWestDesigns

I've grown up with the be prepared lifestyle and do not fall into the doomsday stuff.
I think it has been overblown what it means to be prepared. I think people had gotten "soft" with being able to go to the grocery store daily and buy what one needs for that day and not worry about tomorrow or any the day(s) after tomorrow. It doesn't have to necessarily be related to doomsday type of thinking. I think if more people try to be self sufficient (not necessarily for years on end, but my word, at least a month or two) that would help relieve the stress for when those emergency services have to be deployed.

netsol

Y'all crazy if you really think folks won't need signs at the end of the world.

jburton, you are a genius, didn't someone (goatshaver or gnubler i think) say someone told them they needed to find a niche? i am going to register end_of_the_f'ing_world_sign_company.com

just think! no problems with vinyl shrinking,fading