• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jersey Style Truck Lettering

I am looking for some more info on Jersey Style truck lettering. Tutorials, articles, books, examples... anything like that. I really like this style mostly because you don't see much of it in my area (North Carolina). I have done some internet research and couldn't find much other than a few really nice examples from some sign shops up north.

Vinylman

Are you going to hand letter this style? Or are you going to attempt to create it with a computer?

If you can pull it off by hand, once you get recognised for that type of work, you can literally write your own ticket.

Good Luck.

Are you going to hand letter this style? Or are you going to attempt to create it with a computer?

If you can pull it off by hand, once you get recognised for that type of work, you can literally write your own ticket.

Good Luck.

I will be trying to create it with a computer. I am slowly teaching myself how to do hand lettering, but I am nowhere near ready. I am just sick of seeing the same lettering on almost everything around here, it is either plain cut vinyl or some crazy logo that uses every photoshop effect known to man. Something about Jersey Style lettering just looks awesome to me. It is clean and professional but still has that old school style.

Dan Antonelli

Check out Rich Dombey's site - richdesignsinc.com and Bert Quimby's FB page. Also linesandlettersdesigns.com.

You also pointed out Karen's site from Cranberry. I did her site (along with RIch's adn Lines n Letters) about 10 years ago.

Also old signcrafts late 80s to 90s.

That style was all I used to do here in NJ. Bevels, fades. But I switched to digital late 90s. Last truck I airbrushed with paint was 1995. Its funny but I haven't used a fade in probably a decade.

Check out Rich Dombey's site - richdesignsinc.com and Bert Quimby's FB page. Also linesandlettersdesigns.com.

You also pointed out Karen's site from Cranberry. I did her site (along with RIch's adn Lines n Letters) about 10 years ago.

Also old signcrafts late 80s to 90s.

That style was all I used to do here in NJ. Bevels, fades. But I switched to digital late 90s. Last truck I airbrushed with paint was 1995. Its funny but I haven't used a fade in probably a decade.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, those sites are full of great examples. Now the tough part for me is trying to absorb the style and make the computer do what I'm looking for. I have spent most of the day today trying to learn how corel works. I haven't quite mastered it but I haven't gotten mad and smashed my computer yet either so I guess it has been a successful day.

SignManiac

LOL, spent the day with Corel and haven't mastered it yet :) I've been using Corel every day for the past thirty years and still haven't mastered it yet!

LOL, spent the day with Corel and haven't mastered it yet :) I've been using Corel every day for the past thirty years and still haven't mastered it yet!

Maybe mastered wasn't quite the right word for it... I spent the whole day messing with it and haven't put together anything that I would consider good enough to send to the printer!

Jillbeans

No matter the style, basic rules will make your lettering stand out.
Watch the kerning.
Jersey style tends to be real tight.
Make sure your shadows and outlines do not have more contrast than your lettering.
Sign DNA probably has the most Jersey-Style fonts.
I'm assuming you won't be painting these.
Love...Jill

No matter the style, basic rules will make your lettering stand out.
Watch the kerning.
Jersey style tends to be real tight.
Make sure your shadows and outlines do not have more contrast than your lettering.
Sign DNA probably has the most Jersey-Style fonts.
I'm assuming you won't be painting these.
Love...Jill

Great advice as always! No I will not be painting these, at least not right now. I have been so busy in the shop I haven't had enough spare time to practice my brush skills. Maybe one day I will be able to actually pick up a brush and make something that doesn't look like a 3 year old finger painted it...