• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Know any good Mimaki Techs that work remotely?

OneTrickPony

I'm so frustrated by the absolute lack of support that seems to be out there these days. I've tried contacting several companies for tech support and the level of support they offer over the phone seems lacking to me. Either that or they just don't want to help someone that didn't buy a new machine from them. In fact, almost all of them have the same answer "You should buy a new machine, yours is old". Thanks for the help. It's running, I just have a couple minor issues that need some tweaking and I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish it but I expect a good tech could look at a photo, spend about 3 minutes telling me what to adjust, then I could send another photo and in 3 minutes, he'd tell me what to do next. I bet it wouldn't take 1 hour of their time, which I'd gladly pay for.

I have one tech's number that is said to be a guru on the older 6042's but his voicemail is always full and he doesn't answer calls.

A friend was at the show in Vegas and went to the Mimaki booth and got me an email of someone high up in tech support that said he'd help. He won't respond to me at all.

Others take 5-7 days to ask "Have you checked the machine to make sure it's level?" and then go dormant for another 5 days.

Anyone know a good tech who knows the older machines and would be willing to help, privately, for pay? I'm open for suggestions.

Please if you find anyone let us know too! We are 3k down in parts and labor and they just sent us the price for a mimaki tech. They want us to pay hotel, car rental and 125$ per hour for travel on top of the 600$ for 4. Hours

OneTrickPony

I'm reasonably handy at working on machines. With just a tiny bit of help, I can do most anything you ask me to do via email or phone. We are in the market for a new printer next year and the total lack of support, even from the highest levels of Mimaki have us seriously questioning it we'll ever buy another Mimaki. Personally, I love the machine, it's bulletproof and just runs. Really haven't had to do anything to it for years and years. Now, when I need simple help, there's no one to be found. It's sad. Such an awesome machine, such poor support. Will certainly branch our search out to other brands when the time comes. I hate the fact that they make you go through the dealer network for help. If the dealers aren't helping, then what's my option? Push the machine off the loading dock? Seems harsh.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Your particular model has fewer trained techs on it which makes sense why you're having a hard time finding one. You could try American Print Consultants. They might have someone in your area.

TD Digital

I am certified on the old UJF models and have rebuilt many of them in the past. Currently run production on a 3042-HG that I rebuilt from the ground up. Search my build on this page.

I can offer remote support if you're still looking $250 to start for 2 hours remote

Smoke_Jaguar

Overall, asides from some annoying stuff with the firmwares, the printers are more serviceable than the MKII series by a long shot. Service manuals are easy to come by, but the translation in Mimaki manuals, especially the service ones, leave a ton to be desired.

Rooster

Not sure about your specific model, but this guy was very knowledgeable on anything to do with Mimakis.

Look him up on facebook:

Francisco Ruiz Ulloa​

OneTrickPony

Thanks guys, sorry for the delay, I was out of town for a few days.

I have resolved a few major issues. Got the printheads dialed in well, but it was squishing the printing in the scan axis. If I printed items 4" wide, they'd be 3.950". If I printed 8" wide, they'd be 7.9" wide. If I printed across the 24" table, it would be more than 1/4" squished. Of course, no support had a clue. Their fixes were things like "did you check to make sure it's level?".

The error was so accurate across the table, I came to the conclusion that the new encoder strip I put on much have been at a different resolution (maybe off a MK2?). Of course not a sole could tell me if they were different, all they could tell me is I ordered the right one. I put the old encoder strip back on and it fixed that problem completely. 4" is now 4", 8" is not 8" and 24" is now 24". They were supposed to send me a new encoder strip but have gone dormant on me and I haven't seen a strip.

I'll file all these contacts away for the future. I appreciate all the help and contacts. They'll come in useful in the future, I'm sure. Much appreciated!

petepaz

we are new to the mimaki world but purchased a CJV330-160 printer about 4 months ago through Tyrrell tech and we have a few issues and they were quick to respond and get us up and running each time. we have been a customer of theirs for about 13 yrs and they have always been pretty good with tech support. not sure if they work remote but they have locations in NJ, MD and FL.

Last edited:

OneTrickPony

They were called almost 2 weeks ago. We were told they’d ordered parts and would be in touch. We told them we were in crisis mode and had work due within a week and urgently needed help. Not a peep since then.