• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

lamination problem very fogy

shadi75

owner
Hi from canada.

i been running my vehicle graphics business in canada the past 5 years, using Rolland vp300 printer and rite media laminator. this week i started to notice dots of foginess all over my decals, i use the orajet 3551 and 3951 and the oraguard 290, i been doing this for 5 years and i never had a problem like this, the decals i make always looked smooth and perfect . Its hard to see but i attached few photos, i think its my roller but i m not sure, i know its not the laminate and vinyl since changed both rolls and i m still getting the problem. i m trashing the last decals i made and i will have to remake them , but i wanted to know if this could be something else before i go and buy a new laminator.

thanks
-shadi
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2922.jpg
    IMG_2922.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 154

player

It looks like silvering. Get out a magifier and see if it is a bunch if little bubbles.

If it is slivering, it can be caused from:

-cold rollers (that's what heat assist is for)
-going too fast
-not enough pressure
-other stuff as I am not an expert (wait- maybe I am)

CreatedDesigns

I have seen that before on my prints, But it usually goes away the next day. Now saying that I will clarify that it usually happens while using the big squeegee for lamination. But when using the Laminator I don't see it, So I always associated it with not enough pressure.

shadi75

owner
Yeah that's what i thinking too not enough pressure, i took apart the laminator and i adjusted the top roller pressure screws, but i didn't see much change, i think the rollers are probably warren out, the bottom roller seems to have a small tear in it. I did have it for five years , so its probably time to try an royal sovereign RSC820CLS .

Eatachair

Soft squeegee
looks to me like modeling from the liner. should go away with some heat. somtimes adding just a little heat when laminating makes that go away. heat on your machine no more than 100 or 37 celsius for my friends in Canada :)

laserman70

Looks to be silvering..
We had this issue, sent it to manufacturer.

They told us that it was because the laminates was in a warehouse that was not temperature controlled.
Dont know if that is your issue

my .02

shadi75

owner
I slowed down the speed to the slowest setting and now it seems to be working much better, i spent the day at my supplier, they suggested i adjust the pressure some more, but i think i did last time and i over did it, plus i m noticing the bottom roller is starting crack. I will probably keep using it until i get a new one soon. Then promote it from lamination to its new job of occasional masking .

derekw13029

I slowed down the speed to the slowest setting and now it seems to be working much better, i spent the day at my supplier, they suggested i adjust the pressure some more, but i think i did last time and i over did it, plus i m noticing the bottom roller is starting crack. I will probably keep using it until i get a new one soon. Then promote it from lamination to its new job of occasional masking .

That's a very good idea, and was going to be my recommendation. When we do things like face-mounting prints to acrylic, sometimes we get a similar flaw. If you can't increase the pressure on your mounter/laminator, you can only slow it down. However, be sure not to stop it or you'll get a solid line across the print.

Like others have said, maybe letting it "outgas" (I hate to use that term) overnight and then applying a little heat could help. Might try a blow dryer if you are really desperate (I've done it before and it worked. YMMV)

On almost all of our 10mil glossy laminated pieces with really dark colors, we have to "mash" them through the laminator AFTER we laminate. The second pass really makes all the difference, and we set the pressure very high. May not be the best option, but it definitely works well for us.

boxerbay

correct. slow it down. use a bit more pressure. also tighten the feeder laminate roll so it puts a bit more tension on the lam before it hits the prints. a little bit of heat helps also. not too much though as you dont want to pre-stretch your lam and have curly prints.

shadi75

owner
Thanks that's what i m doing now doing quarter turns adjustments, closed the ac vent that's directly on top of the laminator , i always keep it cooler in the shop. My supplier called and there offering me a refurbished rsc 1400L for 2500 CDN , i wanted the smaller one originally but i think i can fit that one, i might as well get it now since i will be upgrading to a 54" roland next year.
"