• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Late fee?

2B

Most people are good about paying. I had one tavern that almost didn't pay me about $2500. I went there and sat at the bar and said I'm not leaving until I get paid. I got paid. After he closed up I found out he owes many other businesses thousands of dollars and I'm talking like 20k to just one. I'm glad I took the time to sit there so I got paid.

We had to do something similar with a restaurant, now out of business, had a "rush" order for wall graphics and the like for their grand opening.
completed the products, it was late like after 8:00 PM, called and let her know they were ready, but she said OH I'M SOOOO BUSY, YOU WILL NEED TO BRING THEM BY THE RESTAURANT one of the partners agreed as it was on their drive home.
They arrive, she is having / hosting a large party with the "money" crowd of the town and I was told she very loudly TOLD the partner to go lay out / prep the graphics for installation.
The reply she got stopped the party and apparently was NOT what she wanted, they refused to do any prep as the order was for product only, they also refused to move away from the party area and LOUDLY informed her the balance was due NOW, and the only payment that will be accepted will be in CASH, she apparently had to go open their safe and get the money, no one commented or did anything until the cash was paid and the partner left...

Stacey K

I like making signs
We had to do something similar with a restaurant, now out of business, had a "rush" order for wall graphics and the like for their grand opening.
completed the products, it was late like after 8:00 PM, called and let her know they were ready, but she said OH I'M SOOOO BUSY, YOU WILL NEED TO BRING THEM BY THE RESTAURANT one of the partners agreed as it was on their drive home.
They arrive, she is having / hosting a large party with the "money" crowd of the town and I was told she very loudly TOLD the partner to go lay out / prep the graphics for installation.
The reply she got stopped the party and apparently was NOT what she wanted, they refused to do any prep as the order was for product only, they also refused to move away from the party area and LOUDLY informed her the balance was due NOW, and the only payment that will be accepted will be in CASH, she apparently had to go open their safe and get the money, no one commented or did anything until the cash was paid and the partner left...
OMG, that's hilarious!!! Sometimes a little mafia intimidation is all a person needs!

Johnny Best

gnubler, just start sending naked pics of yourself to the guy, tell him you won't stop until he pays you, he will pay up right away.

gnubler

If you don't have anything in your contract/estimate then you just need to continue harassing them. Show up at the business, mail invoices, email, etc.

Payment upon completion for every job just doesn't seem possible, or maybe I'm just too lazy to wait around for people. Like Tuesday, I had a vehicle to letter and didn't finish up until almost 7pm. I was not about to hang around and wait for this guy to pick his kid up from football practice and swing over to grab his truck to get paid. I sent him the invoice the next morning and assume I'll get paid.

I put a ton of smaller jobs in my pick-up area for customers to grab after 4 when I close - again, I'm not sitting around waiting for people. They are ALWAYS LATE. I have a mail slot for payment or email the invoice for electronic payment.

Most people are good about paying. I had one tavern that almost didn't pay me about $2500. I went there and sat at the bar and said I'm not leaving until I get paid. I got paid. After he closed up I found out he owes many other businesses thousands of dollars and I'm talking like 20k to just one. I'm glad I took the time to sit there so I got paid.
This is typically my scenario as well. In the case of this particular job the customer wasn't even present when I did the work. The vehicle was dropped off at a local dealership and I installed the graphics on their lot. When it comes to jobs with installations, I can't think of one situation where I was paid in full on the spot upon completion of work, especially when it's a bigger customer with an accounting dept. Work gets done, I send an invoice via email within the next few days, and 99% of people get it paid without issue. Now I'm dealing with the 1% who's decided to use me as a bank.

gnubler

My MIA customer finally paid up after I sent an invoice for the third time. I'm relieved, but not pleased. I've been 'snuffed' too much lately, customers not respecting my time or efforts. Aggravating.

How do you all deal with slow-paying/problem customers who come back for more? Demand payment in full up front? Or tell them to get lost? After this ordeal I hope I never hear from him again.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a business we've been doing work for, for about 20 some years. Usually, they pay within a few days of getting the invoice. Sometimes they bring payment with them when picking up. About 2 months ago, they asked to be billed and would pay it right away. Did so. Around week 5, I told them, I'll never do this again. A few days later, they called with another job and I plan on telling them, after the order and po's go through, payment will be upfront, until we feel better about them.

Ya either give in or walk away. There's enough business out there and enough people who are more than willing to accept yur terms. Look for them.

gnubler

I plan on telling them, after the order and po's go through, payment will be upfront, until we feel better about them.
Good idea, and still sounds professional & polite.

I've had some other customers that I know for sure I never want to work with again. If they ever show up I plan on telling them I'm just not taking on new jobs at this time. A nicer way of saying eff off.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
My MIA customer finally paid up after I sent an invoice for the third time. I'm relieved, but not pleased. I've been 'snuffed' too much lately, customers not respecting my time or efforts. Aggravating.

How do you all deal with slow-paying/problem customers who come back for more? Demand payment in full up front? Or tell them to get lost? After this ordeal I hope I never hear from him again.
Most of our customers have net 30 terms and don't abuse it. The odd bigger construction company gives themselves Net 60 or "End of next month" terms, but we let it slide.

We recently revoked a long-time (not great) customer's payment terms. They would get past 60 days, then start making excuses. Their cheques would get "lost" in the mail etc. Months back they requested EFT/Wire info so they could pay that way, made one payment like that then apparently "forgot" we were set up and proceeded to send cheques late whenever they felt like it. I told them their terms were revoked due to poor payment history (Quickbooks is great at showing average days to pay for each customer) and that they were now on "prepaid" terms before orders get released and shipped. We had an order on the go for them and I told them we'd ship it out when we received payment for the late invoice and this new one. They weren't happy about it, and whined about it, but paid both the next day and away the order went. They asked how long they would be in term jail for but I couldn't find a nice way to answer that question so just ignored them. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Stacey K

I like making signs
I really hate asking for money. I usually send a "reminder" and play dumb the first time like, "hey just sending the invoice again, not sure if I gave it to you or not" or "My accountant is on my a$$ to get my invoices paid in full" or "Did you forget something? LOL" 99/100 times the customer ligit forgot or it got caught up in the emails and you get paid right away. If no response or no payment within a couple days then I get persistent.

Small businesses are often waiting to get paid from a big job before they pay you. I have had many ask me if I did the lettering if they could pay me Friday or next week. I say yes the first time but after that if they don't keep the promise then I have no problem asking again. In my small town people are pretty good or the word spreads like fire and nobody wants that.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I've had some other customers that I know for sure I never want to work with again. If they ever show up I plan on telling them I'm just not taking on new jobs at this time. A nicer way of saying eff off.
It's more fun if you give them the "eff-you" price. Price their request so astronomically high that either they'll go on down the road, OR it becomes worthwhile to deal with their BS. I do this all the time with my hydrographics business. I stay plenty busy with contract work but fit in the occasional fun project on the side. If it's something I WANT to do, I'll give a reasonable quote. If the customer sounds like they're going to be a PITA or I just don't want to do the job I'll double/triple/sometimes more the quote before presenting to them. It has a way or working out. :)