• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LED Channel Letter Wiring

AKProbeGT

Probably a stupid questions to those who do this regularly but does the wiring from LED channel letters to the transformer(s) need to be in conduit or is it ok as since it's low voltage?

Stormyj

Just another guy
Check the local codes in your area. If your not a certified electrician, be prepared. Probably first question they will ask you. :cool:

DirtyD

Best thing to do is check local codes - some do, some don't - some building inspectors just want a pass through - basically a piece of conduit through the wall and that's it -some doesn't care either way and some want you to go all out.

As for being a certified electrician - I hate when people say that - hooking secondary wiring usually does not require an electrical license - it's when hooking to primary wiring.

visual800

We usually pass thru with flex behind wall and run tight clean lines after that. Some guys down here just do a messy install. I dont like that.

on one job we had the inspector (guy is a notorius *****) make use run flex for every damn line! We had so many dam j-boxes and flex up behind that wall it was insane! This is totally uncalled for. We even asked if we could run metal flex, he said no, we have to run plastic flex. I was mad as hell!

This guy is something else.

Generally no, nor would proper Class II rated wiring Security or thermostat wiring need to be. If they are asking for conduit ask why? If you ever have an issue for something that is not in the NEC then get in contact with the head inspector, NEVER be afraid to go over the head of your field inspector. Of course all primary is mandatory in conduit.

If the purpose for conduit is to assure bonding back to the PS Box and Panel then the inspector should also know that bonding for low voltage is no longer needed and has since been omitted from the NEC since Oct 2011, same goes for the need of that third wire. But again, not all cities have adopted current NEC and it's good to always ask and from the Head IJH if in doubt.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Best thing to do is check local codes - some do, some don't - some building inspectors just want a pass through - basically a piece of conduit through the wall and that's it -some doesn't care either way and some want you to go all out.

As for being a certified electrician - I hate when people say that - hooking secondary wiring usually does not require an electrical license - it's when hooking to primary wiring.

Key word here is "USUALLY". Cover your own A$$

visual800

Generally no, nor would proper Class II rated wiring Security or thermostat wiring need to be. If they are asking for conduit ask why? If you ever have an issue for something that is not in the NEC then get in contact with the head inspector, NEVER be afraid to go over the head of your field inspector. Of course all primary is mandatory in conduit.

If the purpose for conduit is to assure bonding back to the PS Box and Panel then the inspector should also know that bonding for low voltage is no longer needed and has since been omitted from the NEC since Oct 2011, same goes for the need of that third wire. But again, not all cities have adopted current NEC and it's good to always ask and from the Head IJH if in doubt.

the thing with this pri$k is , if you go over his head you will pay the price. You do NOT question him. On this particular job he made the cobtractor put 3/4" plywood in the crawlspace behind wall and hang a light run on its on circuit. I AM NOT LYING. He will make the most hardended man his biotch. Every electrician in this town hates him. He will approach you with crap like " are these 120 volt power supplies with an ohm of 5 with a .07 resistance" (that was an exaggeration of couse) he approached me with this crap and I showed him they were UL STAMPED. he got pissed at me and then asked for the namufacturer of the signafe tomprovide him with a certificate. I called the manufacturer and told them this and they said "you have that SOB call me directly.

dude is just on a power trip

If I were in your shoes which I'm not I would have engaged him to ask him if my installation was per the approved building plan specs, if so then he has no right to waste my time about whether a UL recognized power supply is really UL Recognized. At that frivolous point I would be making a call right in front of him to his head inspector to ask him why his inspector is wasting my time with such BS and it that's typical protocol and should it be protocol to start providing the building department with a list of said qualified approved products.

But I bet the conversation wouldn't even get that far.

In my experience I've only only had to ask one inspector which sounds just like yours to get off my job site and relay that I was going to be in touch with his boss the head IJH. He was shocked that someone half his age at the time would even make that a possibility with him asking "you're going to go over my head?"

As long as you're doing the installations according to code and how your permitting process was approved all the inspector is there to do is to make sure the NEC was adopted along with assuring it's finished in a safe manor.

If I were in your shoes I would make an appointment with the head IJH and have a sit down. Tell him politely that you have been told by different inspectors different approved requirements and that you would like to hear it from the head guy what it approved, what is asked for, and what is not, that way your not wasting anyones time and having to go through multiple inspections. Maybe even bring along what you typically use and how you do it. That way on your next you can tell the prisk that your job is okay and "city name here" approved via the head man. So if he has in issue with it, he can take it up with his boss because with your conversation you had with him he said it's "good"

Just my two cents and how I handled the impossible, just go in with your appointment with the IJH positive.

I don't think you're asking too much.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
the thing with this pri$k is , if you go over his head you will pay the price. You do NOT question him. On this particular job he made the cobtractor put 3/4" plywood in the crawlspace behind wall and hang a light run on its on circuit. I AM NOT LYING. He will make the most hardended man his biotch. Every electrician in this town hates him. He will approach you with crap like " are these 120 volt power supplies with an ohm of 5 with a .07 resistance" (that was an exaggeration of couse) he approached me with this crap and I showed him they were UL STAMPED. he got pissed at me and then asked for the namufacturer of the signafe tomprovide him with a certificate. I called the manufacturer and told them this and they said "you have that SOB call me directly.

dude is just on a power trip

I hate that type of inspector too, or worse, you jump through their hoops and find something else they did not notice...

I think like Eric alluded to, what version of NEC have they adopted?

Many around here still use the NEC 2008 standard. Some clients I do work for will do what Eric suggest - talk to the chief inspector, most just run conduit to get the job signed off... -

Another part I forgot to ask or pass on is, do you know if your inspectors are contracted out by the city, or are they full time employees.

This is good to know because if they are contracted out then they are paid each time they appear, good for the city to know that they are over paying for a guy who could creating work for himself by making repeat visits. The city won't like that, and if you have all your ducks in a row just like the head AHJ then there is no reason to be billing the city with unnecessary corrections.

Another avenue is show up/join your local IAEI International Association of Electrical Inspectors (very inexpensive & you'll learn a lot), every city belongs (most of the time). Show up and ask questions, your head AHJ will be there attending along with other close by counties, express your concerns and they will help. Let your inspector know you're a member of the IAEI and this is "insert info here" requirements that have been asked. You could even help update what your local city is asking.

Just another avenue to engage or help create change to your neighborhood.

AKProbeGT

Thanks guys. No one inspects things like this here but I just wanted to do the right thing and not just what I could get away with. I confirmed with both my channel letter builder and a local electrician that Class 2 wiring doesn't require conduit here.