• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

looking for knife that can cut backing paper.

0igo

i've been using the Olfa TS-1 Top sheet for a while now but i hate it. anyone have a favorite knife they use for cutting the backing paper?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Everyone has their favorite gadget but know that any device that relies on blade depth is inherently flawed. This sort of cutter, at some time or another, will not completely cut the backing or will cut both the backing and the vinyl.

A device that has some sort of platen the slides between the backing and the vinyl can be a reliable solution.

MikePro

i use the one from yellowTools and it works GREAT!
...only issue is the teflon needs to be changed every so often. Their proprietary blades last pretty long, might be worth getting a few extra on the front-end, but a great $$$saver is to buy a roll of 3M's 5151 PTFE Teflon tape instead of buying their precut pads over&over.

MikePro

Everyone has their favorite gadget but know that any device that relies on blade depth is inherently flawed. This sort of cutter, at some time or another, will not completely cut the backing or will cut both the backing and the vinyl.

A device that has some sort of platen the slides between the backing and the vinyl can be a reliable solution.

+1. i'll never trust a blade protruding from a piece of plastic to cut my backing paper. yellowtools/geekwraps' slitters are definitely at the top of gotta-have's

T_K

Yikes... that's expensive. Not saying it doesn't work, just expensive

Would you rather have something expensive that works, or something cheap that doesn't?

My unofficial motto when looking at buying tools:

Buy quality, and you get what you pay for. Buy cheap and you pay for what you get.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Image1Impact make a wrap cut knife exactly like the yellotools one for a lot less.

http://www.robivers.com/store/sharp-tools/

None of these knives like this work well when it's hot. The adhesive gets to gummy and sticks to the foot. The older Teflon tape version of these knives are a pain and the Teflon tape isn't cheap so stick with the Teflon coated ones.

untitled.png

Andy D

I have used many different types, including the depth control types, and as Bob said, the only one that works perfectly
is my BodyGuard knife, it has a teflon "platter" that glides between the adhesive side of the vinyl and the backing paper.
It cuts the backing paper perfectly without affecting the vinyl.

attachment.php

Attachments

• body-gared-knife.png
    body-gared-knife.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 465