• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Managing Fonts

Jackflush

Gorgor
I'm using Fusion Suitcase trial ver. I would like to know how you all manage your fonts. How many fonts are in your font folder? And how do you get rid of those non english fonts that come with vista? Also I want to strip down the fonts that came with windows to only the ones that the system needs to function. I've already had to restore my system because I uninstalled fonts the system needed. Anyone worked these things out or know of a thread that could help me... Much appreciated.

Garrett

inthesignbiz

We use AMP Font viewer
I set up a seperate folder for fonts on the main drive in alphabetical order.
There is a tab in the font viewer for "Not installed fonts".
In that window there's a button "View Folder/Install list of fonts".
Clicking that will bring up a window of all the fonts in that folder*.

We use Flexi and Corel mostly. Opening a new Flexi or Corel will pick up
all of the fonts in that folder*.

You can do with them what you will without actually installing them.
However, you must either weld them or convert them to curves before
leaving your work.

Hope that helps.

Windows/Fonts= 1311
Mostly installed before I figured out this trick.

Hope this helps.

Jackflush

Gorgor
Thank You. I will have to try that. I'm trying to master fonts not have them master me.... LOL Put your hand up if ya hear me...
What about windows core fonts? Do I really need one hundred or so fonts in the windows font folder that I will never use?

inthesignbiz

If they came with your version of Windows,
It's probably a good idea to leave well enough alone.
Windows uses some of those for it's own use.

PMG

We use AMP Font viewer
I set up a seperate folder for fonts on the main drive in alphabetical order.
There is a tab in the font viewer for "Not installed fonts".
In that window there's a button "View Folder/Install list of fonts".
Clicking that will bring up a window of all the fonts in that folder*.

We use Flexi and Corel mostly. Opening a new Flexi or Corel will pick up
all of the fonts in that folder*.

You can do with them what you will without actually installing them.
However, you must either weld them or convert them to curves before
leaving your work.

Hope that helps.

Windows/Fonts= 1311
Mostly installed before I figured out this trick.

Hope this helps.
how does flexi pick up the fonts not installed......thought flexi could only read install fonts from the windows folder...please explain more.....i just downloaded AMP and that looks like a good program...was using Xfonter before.

inthesignbiz

Once that folder of fonts is open for viewing,
Click on Character in Flexi. (You have to open a new one for them to register).

You should see all of the fonts in that folder as well
as your regular fonts in your Windows folder.

PMG

not working on this end...i closed flexi.....opened amp and navigated to my uninstalled font folder....it shows the fonts in amp,,,,then i open flexi and navigate to character and it only shows my installed fonts and not the others. Also is this a Java program???? it does not install to the system?....i just opended it up and it ran with no install.

signgal

I may hafta give this a shot too. I have this one things that shows all my fonts, installed or not but I wanted to organize them according to style or distinction and started a pretty nifty little spread sheet but it's time consuming.

PMG

just downloaded the installer and it installed....why would a zipped version not install? also when Amp is open flexi still wont read the uninstalled font. Im running Flexi 8.6v2 build 1472...not sure if that has anything to do with it not reading them.

PMG

I think i got it now...you don't see all the uninstalled fonts, you haft to temporarily install each font then it shows in flexi even with flexi open. Once ya close flexi and reopen the font is no longer in flex... that's why it needs to be converted to outline or welded..............in 8.6v2 you can weld a font and still be able to edit that font after the welding,so in 8.6v2 you will need to convert the font to outlines only if you want what lettering you had to remain when reopening that file.

S'N'S

I use AMP font viewer as well. I keep all my fonts (25,497 of them) that didn't come with windows on my second hard drive and use AMP to temp install to windows to use in a design program and when you turn the computer off, the temp font disappears from the windows font list.

Jackflush

Gorgor
Ive got fusion suitcase to manage fonts right now. So far so good. I can temporarily install fonts to use in design work. I will probably buy this font manager unless i get a better suggestion. Suitcase fusion wont let me uninstall the windows fonts that windows apparently cant live without- sigh*. oh boy