• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Masking glass for sandblasting

speedmedia

Hey all,
Got a request to make some masks for a client who wants to sandblast glass. DO I have to use the thick and heavy sandblast mask like for carved signs or is there another type of product I can use for this?

Thanks,
Kurt

speedmedia

I guess I am looking for something more custom that I can cut on my plotter not anything pre-made.

Thanks,
Kurt

sagesign

I've done a few glass pieces and always have used paint mask or intermediate and have had good results.

Jillbeans

I'd call Hartco and see what they say.
Years ago I used to hand-cut 4 layers of contact paper directly onto the glass for a client! (he was a fancy sandblaster guy who did some really classy windows)
We even did a huge round glass desk top, stage blasted with roses from beneath, for someone all the way down in Texas.
Love.....Jill

Pat Whatley

I often wonder if people actually read the questions before offering answers around here.

There are a couple of local glass companies that send me files to cut so they can blast. They're just etching the glass, not doing any deep carving....for that we use regular vinyl. I cut it in whatever old, leftover, or scrap vinyl I've got lying around and it's working out great for them.

If you're planning on doing any kind of depth carving in the glass you'll probably need a standard sandblast mask.

MachServTech

I do know that a lot of folks buy a rubber mat-like material for their cutters that is used for sandblasting. (I have serviced a lot of cutters this heavier stuff takes its toll over time)
but, many shops I have talked to just use plain ol Avery for sandblast frosting or etching.

speedmedia

I often wonder if people actually read the questions before offering answers around here.

There are a couple of local glass companies that send me files to cut so they can blast. They're just etching the glass, not doing any deep carving....for that we use regular vinyl. I cut it in whatever old, leftover, or scrap vinyl I've got lying around and it's working out great for them.

If you're planning on doing any kind of depth carving in the glass you'll probably need a standard sandblast mask.

Yeah I know, I sometimes get the same feeling. Either way they are just etching light so if I can use standard vinyl that is awesome. I was going to use the thick heavy stuff MachServTech suggested but I didn't want it to tear up my plotter so I will go with some scrap and see what happens.

Thanks all for the quick replys!

Thanks,
Kurt

3dsignco

Speed,
Here is one I have in my house.. This was stage blasted with heavy mask at around 120psi..
Just intermediate vinyl will work good for frosting but you will want to turn your pressure down to about 30psi or less when using Black beauty or you can blast right through the vinyl.. If your using quartz I would start about 20psi as quartz is sharper and can easily cut the vinyl.

Have forgot to do that a few times and ruined the glass.

GlassArt.jpg

ChiknNutz

I did some good sized mirrors for the city a while back and I used Hartco 310S if memory serves. It's thicker than regular vinyl and comes of much easier when you want it to.

We supply a local glass etching place with mask all the time. They always just buy whatever leftover color we have in 651 to keep it cheap and they have never had a problem. I personally haven't tried blasting glass with it, but they say it works perfectly.

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber

+1 I have done a lot of media blasting in a small blaster using 651 or left over vinyl. Aluminum oxide in a 70 grit and 180 grit. I havn't noticed a real differance between the grit sizes but you can cut fairly deep if you want to.
Be careful not to blast away any small peices of vinyl, like the centers of closed letters.
Don't use very old vinyl, the glue gets weak and won't hold. If you blast a piece off you can not fix it.
I also put the entire layout on the glass first and then weed, it makes it much easier to weed small letters.
I then cover the rest of the piece with transfur paper to keep it from being damaged.
I also run mine at about 80 psi.and hold the piece about 10 inches away from the gun.
Good luck, feel free to PM me with any questions:thumb: