• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV3 - half cyan missing on test print

Jesse_gvi

When I move the carriage all the way to the left and look from the bottom, it looks like there is a cap-shaped ink ring on the head. Other than that, how do you check for a good seal?

WrapperX

With it placed over the capping station you do a hard pull from the back. If you have another set of ears (another person) You have that person put there ears down by the capping station on the front and listen for a air moving. OR if when you do a pull you get lots of air bubbles. Although -if one side of your head is empty then you'll get air bubbles. The most affective way is to have someone listen while someone pulls from below the caps.

WrapperX

When I move the carriage all the way to the left and look from the bottom, it looks like there is a cap-shaped ink ring on the head. Other than that, how do you check for a good seal?

That ring could be a "stained" ring from when it used to seal perfectly. I don't think that necessarilly goes away when the wipers wipe the head.

I still don't think it's your capping station - it's only 5 months old. Especially since you swapped dampers and the problem followed to the other side.

I'm still betting on a Damper issue or the manifolds.

Jesse_gvi

I haven't gotten any bubbles on any of the draws so far, but I'll try again and get someone to listen. Other than that, it sounds like I just have to wait for the dampers to come in.

artbot

for proving it that side of the pump is pumping, just do a pump tube swap and observe the results. just make sure when doing the cleaning cycle that you transpose the "new" positions of the cap tube/pump tube relationships.

Jesse_gvi

for proving it that side of the pump is pumping, just do a pump tube swap and observe the results. just make sure when doing the cleaning cycle that you transpose the "new" positions of the cap tube/pump tube relationships.
But if I'm having an issue with the Black and Yellow as well as the Cyan, then would a tube swap even prove anything?
Could the pumps (never been replaced, about 6years old) be so worn out that they just aren't overcoming any pre-existing resistance that a new set of pumps would? The pumps are moving ink -- even the cyan after a syringe pull -- but maybe they aren't moving with as much force as before.

WrapperX

Well the pump is technically one of the parts that they call disposable - it's something that should be replaced once a year - I think I read that somewhere although I figure if it's working then why replace it - it might not be a bad call to have that replaced - especially if it's 6 years old - while your down and getting things new. Although - it's a toss up. How much money are you willing to spend to get it up and running. You obviously want to be spending ONLY what you HAVE to spend I would think.

artbot

well, you've still go magenta working. i'd use that as your "control". it's a jv3 160sp?... you can isolate each pump/cap line by hooking it up to the magenta side of that pump. and see if you get different results.

one easy way to get a pump going is to have a partner syringe cleaning solution into the cap continuously while some one else continuously draws a vacuum at the drain line. if there's a clog, you will see it working it's way down. you can work the line, kneading it, to loosen up the clog. also, the interior pump tubes can develop a "flat" spot and not pull as hard. you can replace the tube inside or even move it slightly to a new position in a pinch.

Jesse_gvi

JV3 160SP, yes.
I switched the magenta and cyan tubes. I powered on and saw the cyan flowing nicely, magenta not so much. I did a test draw and the cyan had a full pattern on both sides. Then I did a 4"x12" print of c,m,y & k rectangles. The test draw after that showed missing black, yellow and cyan, but the cyan only had a couple rows missing. Magenta still had a full test pattern. After a "fill up ink" they were all full, even the cyan this time.

Another short run, then test draw. Some black out (1 side), some yellow (1 side), almost all of the cyan (1 side). Magenta is still full.

Soft clean, all full except a little missing from the black.

This all got weird when I switched the pump tubes, which makes me think it's the pumps, or at least partly the pumps.

artbot

Another short run, then test draw. Some black out (1 side), some yellow (1 side), almost all of the cyan (1 side). Magenta is still full.

were these results after putting the tubes back in their original positions?

Jesse_gvi

Update:

The dampers came on Monday. I switched out all on the left channels and it seemed to fix the problem. I did a print and some test draws and then a big print, all with no issue. I noticed the pump for the cyan was still lagging behind the others though, so I suspected the new dampers would only be a temporary fix. Today the pumps arrived and I put those in. They're a little louder--whether that has anything to do with stronger I don't know, but they drew the ink much better. I'm running a 5'x12' poster right now, so I'll see how that turns out, but I'm calling it fixed until I see otherwise.

Thanks for all the help in narrowing this down!