• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki UV Inks LUS 120 v LUS 170?

Stickerman

Hi, i've been doing some research before coming here but unfortunately either i'm poor at it or it's all very generic marketing material without much substance.

What are the differences between LUS 120 v 170?

I have an option to install a Mimaki UCJV 300-107 with either Mimaki LUS 170, or to be a bit dodgy and install them with a companies own brand Nexus LUS-120 inks.

Either way the printer is out of warranty, and the service contract is with the company that makes the Nexus Lus 120 inks. So they will still offer tech services with any issues, but I have to pay for parts.

From what i've found, the LUS 120 inks are less flexible and are more for banners, posters and signs, where as the LUS 170 inks are highly flexible, suited for vinyl wrappings, stretching and folding. However, I was under the impression that flatbed UV printers used LUS 200, which primarily print on solid media, which doesn't have to be flexible at all, so i'm just asking if anyone has any information.

Thank you very much.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
They used to categorize the inks by flexibility and you're basically correct on the breakdown. In general the lower the number, the more rigid it is but that isn't a hard and fast rule with all Mimaki UV inks anymore. I can tell you as a dealer who installs these machines, 99% of people are using LUs170 on the UJV300 roll to roll and most people use LUS120 or LH100 for rigid stuff mostly on the smaller desktop flatbeds.