• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Modifying Juki sewing machine

netsol

we have a juki 563 sewing machine & although it is almost NEVER used (we make very few banners now) i would like that to change
i would like to eliminate the bobbin for bottom thread feed & allow it to feed from another large thread spool

anyone ever done anything like this?

spb

✨鞄➕
I found this thread on leatherworker.net, but do you really want to go through the hassle? Your standard bobbin will go for thousands of stitches. You can just buy extra bobbins (20 for $13 on Jeff Bezos's website), load them all up with the bobbin winder and switch them out as you sew.

WildWestDesigns

Personally, I wouldn't do that. Also if this is something that isn't getting as much use and you don't see it ramping up anytime, why go thru the hassle?

And as Ian Stewart-Koster pointed out, it will never be enough.

Although I am more of a spool your own type of person. But I also do a lot of color matching on the lower thread as well as upper thread, using different weights, thread types etc, so that does play a part as well to my mindset.

tulsagraphics

I wouldn't go to through the hassle of modifying a machine like that either (expensive and likely to cause more problems than it solves). Swapping bobbins is just part of the process with lock stitch machines.
I suggest boosting your banner sales first, and if the sales are very good AND you're still bothered by it that much you can look into getting a chain stitch machine instead (they use spools, not bobbins). FWIW I own 3 lock stitch machines and 1 chain stitch, but I don't use the chain stitch anymore b/c it's a PITA to keep it running smoothly.

• Agree
Reactions: spb

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Netsol is a tinkering kinda guy for sure. We know your gonna do it. Be sure to provide updates on how it goes.

WildWestDesigns

I wouldn't go to through the hassle of modifying a machine like that either (expensive and likely to cause more problems than it solves). Swapping bobbins is just part of the process with lock stitch machines.
I suggest boosting your banner sales first, and if the sales are very good AND you're still bothered by it that much you can look into getting a chain stitch machine instead (they use spools, not bobbins). FWIW I own 3 lock stitch machines and 1 chain stitch, but I don't use the chain stitch anymore b/c it's a PITA to keep it running smoothly.
I wouldn't suggest a chain stitch unless this is really temp banners. They are designed to be pulled apart easily. Either have to put something on top of the chain stitches in specific spots to keep them from unraveling or just make sure that the customer knows that they are for temp usage. Overlock/sergers/merrow machines(for patch borders especially) etc also fall under this category as well.

netsol

it won't be the first time i cause more problems than i solve...

netsol

Finally!
someone who understands

Bobby, (valued associate, but even more sarcastic & sure of himself than i am)
always tells me that it is a pathology to plan modifications of a new piece of equipment BEFORE you use it for the first time...

Superior_Adam

We buy pre wound bobbins for cheap. You can tell when they are about to run out takes a few seconds to swap them and keep on going.

tulsagraphics

I wouldn't suggest a chain stitch unless this is really temp banners. They are designed to be pulled apart easily. Either have to put something on top of the chain stitches in specific spots to keep them from unraveling or just make sure that the customer knows that they are for temp usage. Overlock/sergers/merrow machines(for patch borders especially) etc also fall under this category as well.
I never had any banners pull apart with a chain stitch, but they always had grommets.

WildWestDesigns

I never had any banners pull apart with a chain stitch, but they always had grommets.
And that's why, they had grommets.

Chain stitch is designed to be pulled out easily. That's why it's used in applications such as livestock feed bags.

Finally!
someone who understands

Bobby, (valued associate, but even more sarcastic & sure of himself than i am)
always tells me that it is a pathology to plan modifications of a new piece of equipment BEFORE you use it for the first time...

While I can certainly understand the pathology, what you are describing take it from a lock stitch to an overlock machine (which would bring you into the territory that tulsa is talking about), how the thread is "tied in" and "tied off", in my mind, come into play here (or lack thereof).

It's one thing to try to retro fit to fit a bigger bobbin case, but this is actually changing the dynamic of how it handles the stitches (unless there is a detail that I am missing, which is possible).

netsol

And that's why, they had grommets.

Chain stitch is designed to be pulled out easily. That's why it's used in applications such as livestock feed bags.

While I can certainly understand the pathology, what you are describing take it from a lock stitch to an overlock machine (which would bring you into the territory that tulsa is talking about), how the thread is "tied in" and "tied off", in my mind, come into play here (or lack thereof).

It's one thing to try to retro fit to fit a bigger bobbin case, but this is actually changing the dynamic of how it handles the stitches (unless there is a detail that I am missing, which is possible).
much more sensible to switch to a different model Juki or a Singer 300W ?
i am a relative novice in this arena (never stopped me before, though)

WildWestDesigns

much more sensible to switch to a different model Juki or a Singer 300W ?
i am a relative novice in this arena (never stopped me before, though)
If you are trying to eliminate the bobbin totally, more likely looking at your chain stitch machines/overlock machines/sergers etc. Again, it is a weaker stitch. Just keep that in mind and adjust accordingly (if necessary, depends on project needs).

If it's trying to increase bobbin capacity, look to see if what you have has a bigger case available for the machine, it can be retrofitted with parts to accept a larger capacity bobbin, even pre-wound wall-less bobbin may get out a little big more even the machine can accept those (some can be finicky).