• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion More organic traffic but less conversion, how is it possible?

Rosa La Rumorosa

Hello folks!
I sell wall decals in my own online shop and I noticed along these years, I'm getting more organic traffic because I added more products to the shop and the bounce rate is lower because I tweaked many things in the website. I should be celebrating, except that now, my conversion rate is much lower than it was a couple of years ago (it used to be 3 to5% and now is 0,8 to 1,3%).

Any thoughts on why I might be having LESS conversion, despite more traffic and a better webste? It's not a shipping cost issue, because people won't even add the products to cart. Once added to cart, the conversion rate is 25%. Any suggestions on how to find out why this is happening?

P.S: we don't get paid traffic, it's always been a 100% organic

victor bogdanov

wall decals are a lot more competitive now than even a few years ago. Styles change, I've been selling wall decals for over 10 years and my best selling designs from 10 years, 5 years ago and even a couple of years ago are no longer selling well, have to keep up with new design trends. I've seen a similar thing with conversion rate as you, i id adwords too and the cost of ads has gone up. Just WAY more competitive now, entry level printers are so cheap compared to 8 years ago

Stacey K

I like making signs
I completely agree with Victor on this. Design trends change. Everyone on Etsy is doing them also.

Slightly different...I used to make wood signs with wording on them. I sold them at craft shows, on Etsy, my website, I had "sign-making" classes and sold a crap-ton in my shop. Stepped back a bit for 2021 because I was busy doing things with vinyl - but for Christmas 2021 I made a killer amount of wood signs for a large craft show. I scoured all the Etsy shops to see what the big sellers were, consulted with friends...I still have 90% of it sitting here. I had made a small fortune on them for several years...suddenly...nothing.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
wall decals are a lot more competitive now than even a few years ago. Styles change, I've been selling wall decals for over 10 years and my best selling designs from 10 years, 5 years ago and even a couple of years ago are no longer selling well, have to keep up with new design trends. I've seen a similar thing with conversion rate as you, i id adwords too and the cost of ads has gone up. Just WAY more competitive now, entry level printers are so cheap compared to 8 years ago
You can get a 24" Cricut or Cameo at Target these days with software for a few hundred bucks. The customer has become the competition when it comes to consumer style wall decals and t-shirts.

Rosa La Rumorosa

Thank you all for your insights!

I believe the customer becoming a competition is not a problem here in Brazil, at least for now. Technology and machines' prices are getting higher along time, due to the currency devaluation. Nobody can buy a machine for the price it was in 2018 for example, our currency will never go back to its 2018 value, ever.

You made me realize that this business is even more challenging worldwide than here in Brazil. I would only ship within Brazil and most brazilians, I'd guess 99% would only buy decals in Brazil, because it's not worth it buying from international shops.

That being said, I think victor bogdanov nailed it when he said styles change. Of course! Same happens to me: the best selling 2017/18 designs won't sell anymore, it's like they've gone out of fashion. So, I'd like to elaborate with you all two points:

1) What would be the best ways to find out what designs are trendy and what people want to buy? I have a clue from the internal search of my websites, Google search suggestions and a couple of competitor websites. Maybe there's a better way to discover trends, right?

2) Does it make sense to keep hundreds of products, even the ones that never sold in 5 years? I have this idea: the more products the better, because it gets organic traffic, you can better explore long tail terms and everything can sell one day (in fact, there's a couple of designs that took about 4 years to make a sale, but maybe I would have missed that sale if I didn't have that design).
As you can see, I'm more into SEO than paid traffic, but I wanna start with paid traffic, that's why I want to improve conversion rate and maybe create new stuff. On the other hand, too much products can make the customer confused while browsing the shop, digging through a bunch of crap until find something they really like.

I'd like to read your thoughs about it. Thank you all!

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would check on Etsy, that's where everyone buys everything these days. Modern farmhouse - keywords. These abstract lines and circles are all over the site...must be the new thing now. A lot of color blocks also. Nursery decals are popular among new parents...
1648562733605.png

1648562761021.png
1648562816783.png
1648562830238.png
1648562866487.png

Rosa La Rumorosa

Do you recommend other sites other than Design bundles, Adobe Stock and Creative market do buy some nice cliparts? What sites are popular in the US and Europe?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

netsol

Fred weiss, the founder of signs101 (he sold it to paul 5years ago) has some great clip art and plotter art packages & offers other services. He is of course also a merchant member here. That would be a great start. For photos and things we use shutterstock.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Surprisingly, you can buy a ton of these sayings and clip art on Etsy…and cheap. They come as SVGs but I have bought A LOT of them for under $3.00. Or you make your own
278d3d950a793dbc60ba3d485b1810b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

victor bogdanov

See this one: https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/810535291/tropical-parrots-wall-decals-plastic
They're from Finland and their wall decals are made of paper (plastic free) and repositionable. Have you ever seen this material there in your country? What trademark?
Gosh, we are years behind here in Brazil, all decals are made from white vinyl, not even the transparent ones with white underlayer :omg:
Most premium decals in the USA are made from fabric materials such as Phototex, removable, repositionable, does not stretch/tear and very easy to apply. Very premium feel. But expensive compared the same thing made from vinyl that will look exactly the same once applied.

I usually offer my decals in vinyl and then fabric for 2-3x the price. The end result on the wall is exactly the same

There are a number of paper materials available, most likely using some kind of removable adhesive, thick paper label stock. But just because the Etsy seller says their stickers are plastic free, Eco this and eco that doesn't meant it is actually true.

You could say the fabric phototex is PVC and phthalate free (which is true) but even something like plain oracal 631 meets all phthalate standards etc:

Rosa La Rumorosa

Humm, I see. You have no idea what it's like in my country. We don't have that variety of media at all, not even at high prices. In fact, we sometimes struggle to get a decent matt vinyl: there's a lot of chinese "matt" vinyl that sucks because they're not matt at all and when printed, they get that shiny look, which is hated in wall decor work. We have some Avery vinyl, but the promotional only, because there's not enough demand for the premium line, so, it's difficult to find them and if you do, their much more expensive.
Anyways, no matter if it's really plastic free, that Finnic store decal is very nice, can be moved from one wall to another, would be a real revolution if I could offer that around here, where people's never seen something like that.
Now, I'm getting back to the board to think up something because I'm so busted with wall decals and wallpapers that I need sales immediatly. And according to Google Trends, the demand is decreasing all over the world for such products. Guess I'm better start doing signs, labels, whatever is needed (instead of desired) :confused:

Most premium decals in the USA are made from fabric materials such as Phototex, removable, repositionable, does not stretch/tear and very easy to apply. Very premium feel. But expensive compared the same thing made from vinyl that will look exactly the same once applied.

I usually offer my decals in vinyl and then fabric for 2-3x the price. The end result on the wall is exactly the same

There are a number of paper materials available, most likely using some kind of removable adhesive, thick paper label stock. But just because the Etsy seller says their stickers are plastic free, Eco this and eco that doesn't meant it is actually true.

You could say the fabric phototex is PVC and phthalate free (which is true) but even something like plain oracal 631 meets all phthalate standards etc:

Victor, thanks for the Photo Tex recommendation. Can you think of any wide format materials for paper labels? and who might sell it? Thanks!