• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting metal letters to marble/stone wall

dhallsign

Hi all,
I will soon be needing to install some aluminum lettering. The wall surface will be a smooth stone finish, likely marble so I will be unable to drill for a stud install. The letters are only approx 6" high x 1/4" thick so not too heavy. Often I use VHB tape with some silicone but some of these letters will have very thin strokes and not enough surface area for tape to hold in place.

Can anybody recommend a fast grabbing strong adhesive for this type of application that will not expand during curing?

Thanks in advance
Dave

MikePro

sounds like the stroke of the letter would have been too narrow for a stud anyways ...and even if possible, would not be wide enough to cover the blown-out stud hole you could have drilled with ceramic bits.

i'd use epoxy, but you still need something to hold-up the letter while it cures.
I've used hand-trimmed VHBtape-tabs (cut a 1/8" strip of vhb, and apply/cut onto the letter as you go)

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I don't think I've ever seen a letter stroke too thin for VHB....especially on a 6" letter. I vote VHB.

dhallsign

Thanks for the replies. Even though the letters are 6" high some are very thin, like from 3/16" down to 1/8" stroke. I guess I'm just looking for an easier way rather than tiny pieces of tape that would also make the letter 'I' wobbly for example (if that makes sense). Just don't think is would be strong enough either

jfiscus

Rap Master
It'll be fine. Apply a wide piece of VHB to the letter and cut around it. (it may be a bit tedious but it will work)
Look at how skinny some of the lettering on vehicles is that is held on by VHB.
Sometimes I will apply a piece or two of VHB temporarily for while the VHB is still fresh and then come back in a bit and remove the tape.
THIS is less than 1 SF of tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_fM5cqSODc

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Thanks for the replies. Even though the letters are 6" high some are very thin, like from 3/16" down to 1/8" stroke. I guess I'm just looking for an easier way rather than tiny pieces of tape that would also make the letter 'I' wobbly for example (if that makes sense). Just don't think is would be strong enough either

VHB is still your best bet. Cut pieces as wide as possible, even on the 'l'. Keep in mind it's pressure sensitive. Apply pressure to ensure the tape wets out entirely.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The "YOU ASKED FOR IT, YOU GOT IT" letters were about an 1/8" or 3/16" stroke.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 281

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity.... is this marble/stone wall outside in the elements, exposed to sun, rain, snow and heat...... or an inside wall with a controlled environment ??

dhallsign

Inside wall. I'll go with VHB I know it'll be ok was just looking into another option because of some thin letters