• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting Posts From Behind??

Billct2

All good suggestions, angle with a buncho screws and adhesive ( I like polyurethane chaulk for something like this)

andy

Hey all,
I need to mount two 4 x 4 posts to a sign.
The sign is right around 44" x 24" x 3/4".
I want to mount them in the back.
Here's an example of how I was thinking of doing it.
Anyone have any suggestions on this one?

Thanks

I would use 4 battens instead of two.

Fix two battens on the back of your sign.. fit the other two onto the posts. If you stagger the battens properly you should be able to bolt two battens onto the post and simply lift the sign and drop it onto them. If you're installing this baby on your own you can screw a couple of pieces of scrap ply onto the back side of the post battens... when the sign drops on these will stop the sign tipping forward until you can get round the back and screw down through to the sign battens into the post battens.

This method allows you to get a nice strong bolt fixing into the post and gives you an easy drop on/ lift off install. Timber battens will be fine as long as you paint them.. glue them onto the sign panel with exterior wood glue and they'll never go anywhere.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it's all painted, why can't you find a strategic spot to go through the sign, into the post and use the same paint you painted it to begin with for touch up ?? Little screw heads aren't gonna show from 4' or 5' away. It's totally acceptable. If you're really worried, drill out a 1/2" diameter hole about 1/4" deep and use whatever kinda screw you want and then plug it with a dowel and touch up the plugs. That's also an acceptable method and a rather neat look to boot.

k.a.s.

1. Use adhesive, somthing good not something that gets hard. Dow Corning 732 is the best silicone I have ever used its awesome.

2. Screw through the face. At one time I was all about blind mounting stuff, then I had a couple jobs where I realized that there is no substitute for hardware. You only have 3/4" to get a screw in to hold that sign on, thats not very much in a windstorm. I personally really like the plastic caps things you were talking about. I'd use adhesive and put screws into the posts with the plastic caps, and Id never worry about the sign going anywhere.

Kevin

sfr table hockey

All I saw was mounting from behind and signboy in the title. I read too damn fast. Dammit.

Me too.... I was going to ask if it had anything to do with sheep and was going to say just put an X on the ones that kick....... but decided not to.....:Oops:did I just type that out loud.....

Sign_Boy

All VERY GOOD ideas.
It looks like I'll be going through the face.
I'll either recess the screw heads and plug the holes or use the plastic caps.
I the end this is probably the best way to go.
I'd hate to mount it from the back only to have a wind storm blow the face off.

Andy I like your idea as well, did something similar not that long ago - I used PVC Cleats for an interior install.

Jill - Now that's funny:U Rock: