• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1304 pinch rollers leaving tracks

trakers

Some of the tiny material holddown pinch rollers are leaving black tracks on the white vinyl. I know the solution is to replace the offenders, but anyone have a work around to get me through jobs until they arrive?

Its almost like they feel "sticky" and its only the ones that don't get used often with narrower material.

I've tried cleaning them that didn't help

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
They get like that after a while for some reason. Replacing them is really the only way once they get sticky like that in my experience. Make sure you clean them with alcohol and not the solvent cleaning solution. Solvent will just make them more sticky.

SignosaurusRex

They get like that after a while for some reason. Replacing them is really the only way once they get sticky like that in my experience. Make sure you clean them with alcohol and not the solvent cleaning solution. Solvent will just make them more sticky.
The rubber is beginning to deteriorate. An easy work around until new rollers arrive is to lightly dust the back side of some backing sheet material with white carpenters chalk. Run that through
the rollers back and forth a few times. Dust the rollers with a soft brush or cloth and print away. This is a proven short term work around.

trakers

Thanks a bunch. I'll try the chalk, was gonna try corn starch :-O

The chalk got me by, thanks again!!

Now, of course, the question is where can I purchase 68 of these things for a fair price?

SignosaurusRex

Thanks a bunch. I'll try the chalk, was gonna try corn starch :-O

The chalk got me by, thanks again!!

Now, of course, the question is where can I purchase 68 of these things for a fair price?
The OEM replacement rollers are insanely expensive. SolventInkJet had the best price I could find, (almost 1/2 of the other guys) but still very expensive when replacing all the rollers at one time. It will serve you well to replace all of them at one time, as you will be at it again in short order if you do not.
With some searching overseas suppliers, you can find aftermarket Grey Neoprene replacements at an insanely low price.
I think 100 bulk box was well under $100 two years ago. If you go this route, be sure to get an accurate measure of diameter and length of the OEM rollers to ensure you are getting the correct size. Delivery timeline from overseas is a whole other issue though and something to wisely consider.
Personally, I prefer to shop local or at least on home soil rather than overseas, but, $$ is $$ when things get tight.
The Neoprene replacements seem to be every bit as good as the OEM as far as I can tell ...so far.
When you have the rollers in hand, there is a great video on Youtube that shows how to accomplish the task of changing the rollers rather easily and in a minimum of time.
The entire time to remove all of the old rollers and shafts, clean the roller shafts and reinstall with new rollers and start printing should take less than 1.5 hours if you are prepared ahead of time. (Watch the video multiple times...think it all through...prepare your tools...watch the video again...go to work...take your time and be careful)
*** NOTE... Clean the new rollers with Alcohol before installation. The new rollers may need a few feet or maybe yards to break-in.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The OEM replacement rollers are insanely expensive. SolventInkJet had the best price I could find, (almost 1/2 of the other guys) but still very expensive when replacing all the rollers at one time. It will serve you well to replace all of them at one time, as you will be at it again in short order if you do not.
With some searching overseas suppliers, you can find aftermarket Grey Neoprene replacements at an insanely low price.
I think 100 bulk box was well under $100 two years ago. If you go this route, be sure to get an accurate measure of diameter and length of the OEM rollers to ensure you are getting the correct size. Delivery timeline from overseas is a whole other issue though and something to wisely consider.
Personally, I prefer to shop local or at least on home soil rather than overseas, but, $$ is $$ when things get tight.
The Neoprene replacements seem to be every bit as good as the OEM as far as I can tell ...so far.
When you have the rollers in hand, there is a great video on Youtube that shows how to accomplish the task of changing the rollers rather easily and in a minimum of time.
The entire time to remove all of the old rollers and shafts, clean the roller shafts and reinstall with new rollers and start printing should take less than 1.5 hours if you are prepared ahead of time. (Watch the video multiple times...think it all through...prepare your tools...watch the video again...go to work...take your time and be careful)
*** NOTE... Clean the new rollers with Alcohol before installation. The new rollers may need a few feet or maybe yards to break-in.
Good info. I've asked Mutoh many times to confirm the price of these rollers because it seems so outrageous and they confirm it every time. $26 for a half inch piece of plastic with rubber on it. It's crazy.