• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1608 flatbed hybrid

ChiknNutz

We are researching the viability of a flatbed printer, and this printer seems like it might be good for us, and the price is very attractive compared to other flatbeds. Since this printer technically isn't on the market yet, does anyone have any information that they'd like to share about it? Any opinions on entry-level flatbeds in general? We simply are not able to consider a Vutek or similar high-end printer, so it must be at the lower-end of the price scale. Are there any others in this price range (< $50k) to consider? I've been warned to stay away from the low-end Colorspans and don't know what else is out there yet as I'm just beginning my research on the subject. Thanks much!

ChiknNutz

Another couple that may be something to consider are
RasterPrinters - think I've heard a mixed bag about this company...comments?
Oce Arizone 250GT...no idea on price of this one.

gnemmas

These low cost flabeds are all with pinch roller fed design. Remember the Colorspan flatbed discussions a few days ago, regarding the problems of unreliable substrate feeding. I suspect the same issues exist.

rcboats1

I got to play with the 1608 in Orlando last fall and it, in my opinion, is pretty dang impressive. The prints were as crisp as the 1604, it handled flat stock well, over all I was very impressed.

There is a local shop that is getting one, I believe that it was supposed to be delivered last week, maybe this week. If you want to talk to him PM me, I'll dig up his number.

Tom Dalton

The Mutoh 1608 is about $45k (bundled with FlexiSign Pro).

The Gerber Ion should also be considered although it has a list price of about $80,000. Also, the HP DesignJet UV- H35100 is popular and priced at about $58k.

We are also looking for some first hand reviews of the Mutoh 1608.

Tom

Matt Cuellar

RC, Graph, the customer I told you about locally who was purchasing one has backed out so we will most likely be the first dealer up here to have one. He thought the printer was priced lower and now is having buyer's remorse. Also, units won't be shipping to end-users until May so he might have to pull the plug on this and go with a ColorSpan/HP machine for something sooner. I'll keep both of you in the loop. Thanks guys.

ChiknNutz

Matt...I'm assuming that SoftRip will drive this? However, I'll have to upgrade to a 'full' version of Wasatch as mine is Roland only...PM the upgrade price to that so I am sure to account for that in my budgeting. Thanks.

Fuzzbuster

Should consider mid entry new agfa anapurna UV... $0.10 sq ft in ink man...... gota be worth something on large production.
I`de stay away from entry flat beds still...for now

ChiknNutz

Anyone see one of these 1608 printers yet? I think they are out or just about to be. Question I have is about the ink...from what I've gathered, this is NOT a UV printer but uses the MUBIO ink? How real-world durable is that when printed directly to coroplast or alum. comp.? How fast does this stuff cure then, is it more like regular old ink that has to dry for a while? At first, I thought it was a UV printer, but doesn't look that way to me.

rcboats1

Yes, it is Mubio ink, not UV. I brought back a coro sample from SGIA last year (it's around here somewhere) and it still looks great. It dries as fast or faster than the Eco in my 1604. I watched it print the sample that I got, then took it with me.

ChiknNutz

Curious too about the feed mechanism of this unit. How does it handle stuff that may not be perfectly flat...like most coroplast has some bow to it. Since this has no vacuum holddown that I can see, seems like this could be an issue, though I'd have to assume that the engineers considered AND addressed it...right?

Fuzzbuster

Thats the problem with these less expensive board printers

The media handling is not figured out yet

Have a board option for toucan you can have cheap:rolleyes:

Mutoh NEVER got it working:Oops:

Best a luck

ChiknNutz

Right, but will that flatten out a sheet of coroplast? Probably good for sheet vinyl, but likely not so good for a semi-rigid sheet. Could be, but just guessing here.

Matt Cuellar

Chris,

As RC said, it has the same vacuum system as the 1604. It also has a roller bar mechanism in it to help warped media lay flat. Again, it's not going to be able to handle some of the problems in substrates that a true flatbed can handle, but then again, it's not a $200k printer. You have to evaluate all angles before getting into this.

As for the curing system, it is not UV, it's a more advanced version of solvent process. Just as solvent ink evaporates using a chemical reaction, so does this ink, but with the help of a high-powered compressor (included) that super-heats the ink to make it instantly "cure" to substrates. It's quite unique and should do very well for someone getting into this market.

We have our first 2 units going in at the end of next week and our demo unit will arrive shortly after that. To help with print quality issues, we recommend using substrates that are Corona-treated for the best output. It's going to be quite a ride, but again, it has its own place within the market. You've got to evaluate capabilities, price point, and whether it'll truly fit your business.