• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question mutoh vj1617h ink end MP31 ink

netsol

we just took possession of a valuejet 1617h late friday and we have a magenta ink end error
there is a full bag of ink in place & i would like to get past this error to start getting my order list together

we are 30 minutes from beacon graohics and it looks like they have the magenta mp31 cartridge in stock, i will go pick one up, tomorrow.
they also have their house brand ink and smart cards. should i buy an additonal smart card, as well? would you think the "beacon smart cards" will only
work with their ink? i don't know how much info the smart cards exchange with the machine.

my axe to grind is just to get past this error and see what comes next.
obviously, before i am done there will be new dampers, maintenance station and a dx7 head, at a bare minimum

i just am anxious to see how it survived the trip up in a trailer

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
I would personally NOT use Beacon's house ink in a 1617H. Only use the Mutoh inks because of the damage they can do to the printhead. I found that I had to make sure the ink card was moved forward and had taped it so it stayed in place otherwise it would shake and shimmy out of place and the printer wouldn't see it.
I'd only use their ink cards, if available separately, as I've found that I will have at least 50mL still in a bag, but the card would be registered as if it's at ink end. Talk to GRS (Graphic Resource Systems) in Wharton, NJ and see if they can get Mutoh to get a new card for you.
I've been using a 1617H now since 2015, with the old p.i.t.a. inks. The printer works great now with the new inks, but because companies love using cheap, flimsy plastics to save $$$ on manufacturing, there have been quite a few quirks with these machines.

netsol

sorry, i did not make my question clear.
i do not want to use beacon house brand inks.
i was wondering if i could sinply buy one of their smart cards which are sold seperately, to plug in with my existing magenta ink, JUST TO GET PAST THE ERROR.
the machine was purchased in NOT WORKING CONDITION
i just want to get past the error to evaluate the machine
i am a tech, but this is my first mutoh hybrid.
i intend to give it new head and maintenance station, etc. HOWEVER i know it. wasn't working BEFORE it
was transported 1400 miles. i want to evaluate what i have gotten myself into