• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Business Logo

I have been using several logos over the past couple years for my business. I am working on getting some nice polo shirts embroidered, so I figured now would be a good time to settle on one logo that I can use from now on. The reason I have put this off for so long is I just cannot draw up a logo I am happy with. I have worked on several and always seem to hit a dead end. My business almost exclusively caters to fire departments, so I would like that to be represented in the logo (whether it be a shape or gold leaf). Also, most of my work has an older "retro" style to it, so I think that should be another part of the logo. With everything I want in mind I came up with this tonight. It is nowhere near finished, but for once I feel like I am on the right path. I would like to get some feedback on what I have so far, and also some opinions on the colors in the logo. I will be using a combination of red and black shirts, so the logo needs to look good on those colors. I do a lot of gold leaf work, which is why most of the lettering has a gold leaf texture. I realize that gold leaf cannot be embroidered, which leads to another problem... just go with gold thread or switch to a different color? All opinions will be greatly appreciated!
attachment.php

Attachments

• SELLERS SHIRT DESIGN.jpg
    SELLERS SHIRT DESIGN.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 154

WildWestDesigns

I have been using several logos over the past couple years for my business. I am working on getting some nice polo shirts embroidered, so I figured now would be a good time to settle on one logo that I can use from now on. The reason I have put this off for so long is I just cannot draw up a logo I am happy with. I have worked on several and always seem to hit a dead end. My business almost exclusively caters to fire departments, so I would like that to be represented in the logo (whether it be a shape or gold leaf). Also, most of my work has an older "retro" style to it, so I think that should be another part of the logo. With everything I want in mind I came up with this tonight. It is nowhere near finished, but for once I feel like I am on the right path. I would like to get some feedback on what I have so far, and also some opinions on the colors in the logo. I will be using a combination of red and black shirts, so the logo needs to look good on those colors. I do a lot of gold leaf work, which is why most of the lettering has a gold leaf texture. I realize that gold leaf cannot be embroidered, which leads to another problem... just go with gold thread or switch to a different color? All opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Keep it simple.

Be mindful of your sizes. LLC will not translate at a ~.08" size. Sizing it for a typical logo crest size.

On Sign & Design, this is more personal opinion, but satin stitching letters do not require an outline and I personally do not like running stitch outlines as there is high possibility of registration issues much easier with that type of outline compared to a satin stitch. Which that offset is much to small for a satin stitch translation.

Drop shadows are something I'm not a fan of either. These aren't as bad as some of the ones that I've seen, but again, this is one of those things were simple is better.

Cut down on the amount of offsets. In embroidery, in order to do offsets and to minimize production issues (registration issues mainly) there is overlapping from one offset to another and from one offset to the original object that it is outlining. A huge issue would be the double offset around the panel that has Sign & Design. The width on those that I'm getting is .02". Most machines like .03, so I would make those running stitches. It is very difficult to get two running stitch outlines to not have registration issues of some type.

Embroidery has physical minimums that have to be observed. Simplify a little more, give each object a little more "breathing room".

I only mention the above, because you said that you were wanting to have embroidery done.

Now, I will add this, there will be people that will digitize and embroider this as is, and they will do so cheaply, but it will have it's areas of concern if you are trying to replicate this as is.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unless I'm reading you wrong, I would deign a logo I like and if need be, simplify my logo for embroidery purposes. I would not design a logo around embroidery limitations to start.

WildWestDesigns

Unless I'm reading you wrong, I would deign a logo I like and if need be, simplify my logo for embroidery purposes. I would not design a logo around embroidery limitations to start.

I'm not trying to do that Gino (re-reading it, it comes across as that I know), but what I'm seeing, is that he says that he is wanting polo shirts embroidered with a logo he is trying to finalize and I see 4 designs that share "concerns" about translating into nice embroidered polo shirts. No mention of simplified designs, that's what got me involved. I see a lot of people that want their design translated "as is" and I can totally understand that, but unless you at some point have considered the production necessities of the medium, even in your "simplified" design (simplified in of itself sometimes isn't enough), you may not like what you get.

You also have to be careful, most people think that they have a simplified design and to a degree they do, but due to the layout of said design, it still doesn't work. This is especially true of smaller text. Then you have to scale it up that portion of the design to make it work, which depending on the layout might totally change how it looks. Instead of that smaller copy being in the bottom quadrant, now takes up the entire width of the logo crest centered with the main text (or whatever it may be) and competing for space with the main copy, which it shouldn't be. Simplified in of itself, isn't sufficient.

That's what I was trying to preclude here.

You can get away with quite a bit in embroidery, more then some people think, but unless at some point you have considered production concerns, not necessarily in your main design, but in your "for embroidery" design, it's not going to happen otherwise.

I will say this though Gino, I am guilty of designing specifically for embroidery when I do create my own designs. More then likely that's why my original post had that aspect in there. Not my original intent, but it still bled through. Sorry about that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
WildWest, I wasn't referring to you, but to the OP. While your insight is dead balls on..... for the embroidery end of things, I would think the actual logo should be designed differently from the start and once he has that, have someone, like yourself, re-design it for digitizing into an embroidery use.

Something most people don't think ahead about is, what will my logo look like for in a newspaper ad, a website, on the side of a building, in the phone-book, on my vehicle, on a coffee mug, in a flyer and so many other things.

For us, we have so many variations of our logo, it works just about anywhere...... big or small, in color or black & white. Spent many hours over the years bringing it about, but we like it.

WildWestDesigns

Something most people don't think ahead about is, what will my logo look like for in a newspaper ad, a website, on the side of a building, in the phone-book, on my vehicle, on a coffee mug, in a flyer and so many other things.

For us, we have so many variations of our logo, it works just about anywhere...... big or small, in color or black & white. Spent many hours over the years bringing it about, but we like it.

I couldn't agree more with the above.

Thank you both for all of the great information. I should have explained my intentions a little better. I am designing a brand new logo to be used everywhere, so yes I am going to come up with a solid logo that I like first of all. But I am also getting shirts made, so that logo will have to somehow translate into something that can be embroidered. The ones on the left in the picture are where I am at as far as the main logo goes, the one in the upper right was where I started to try to simplify for embroidery. I was wanting any suggestions or opinions on both the actual logo design and also what to do as far as simplifying it to be embroidered.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I don't like the first script at all. It seems to be two styles blended into one and they slant at different degrees. Next, I'm not fond of either of the other letter styles you chose, but then again, this is for you, not me...... but you asked.

Basically, they pass the monotone scale test, but there just seems to lack any pizzazz.

The old popsicle stick through an oval/circle routine has just been done for wa-a-a-ay too long. Try to be more creative.

You are relying far too much on effects & colors and not substance or creativity. Strong elements, symbols or colors will help you achieve that.

attachment.php

Attachments

• seller.jpg
    seller.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 139

WildWestDesigns

I do want to preface this by saying whenever I look at a design, my mind always thinks of it convert to stitches, so please bare that in mind.

I'm with Gino on the script. Not really a fan of that choice.

"Sign & Design" I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other. More neutral on that one. The one thing that I don't like with it, not really due to font, but the offset around it. When it comes to satin stitch lettering, I do not believe it needs to have an outline (especially when it's going to be running stitches), unless you are putting it on same color fabric and you want the original color of the lettering to remain.

I'm not a fan of the panel going through the middle of the oval, especially from a embroidery perspective. That's going to get muddy in there trying to replicate that one.

With regard to the LLC. I'm not a fan of having LLC in a design, especially designs that go on garments. Letterheads on official communications, I'm all for it, but not on apparel. I don't believe it's necessary and it will not translate in embroidery at the size that it really needs to be at to maintain overall design flow. Yours is at .08 sized for the most that I typically like to make a logo crest. The absolute minimum that I like my lettering is at .18". Most shops that I know won't do smaller then .2". I know one user on here that won't go below .25"s. Scaling that part of the design independently to any one of those minimums is going to be too much. If you scale everything together to maintain original layout, that's going to be one big logo crest.

Jillbeans

I agree with Gino's critique.
The script, while retro, is a retro 40s/50s "S" with the rest in an older style script.
It has the illusion of an uphill slant, too.
The shadow effect on the top left is just weird.

I think the best option of what you have would be the bottom right, but I would lose the LLC.
You also need to tighten up SIGN & DESIGN.
Love....Jill