• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not sure what is causing this.................................................................. ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Putting some colorchange 3M gloss black on a transit. On the back doors where if there was a window, but not, the colorwrap is lifting in the indents. I looked at it closer when running my thumb along it again and the ever so thin clear piece has separated from the black. It now looks like sh!t. Any idea what caused that ??

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I've come across that protective layer too. Wasn't expecting it and It kinda freaked me out at first. I thought the vinyl was bad.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I took a door off because of that and the same thing happened again. That's what it was. :thankyou: both !!!

ikarasu

The protective layer is nice because it prevents scratches from happening when applying.

We were using the silver metallic 2080, after using the 1080 version for years.... The 2080 came in super dull and it looked so bad, it wasn't metallic. We had our 3m rep come down and asked him wtf was going on because we were redoing a panel on our customers car. He peeled the top part off and it became metallic silver again.... Never felt like such an idiot in my life.

It'd be nice if they told people it came with a clear ontop so more people didn't get surprised

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Right?! It sucks that Gino had to remove what he did because he didn't know. I got super lucky... Being that I was working on a large cut vinyl decal... Using material left over from something else, but had just enough to do it. So I was pretty frustrated when I thought it was trash.
Could have print/lam/cut/weed/tape as a fix to get it done... But just cut/weed/tape was sooo much easier. It was just black. Any way... Went to weed, and well, I guess assuming that my specific settings on the summa for something like this would be fine, and cut it without a test.... I lucked out that it only cut that liner, and not to the vinyl. So, didn't trash that precious 8ft, and I could strip the protective layer run it through again.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I happened to catch a product video 3M put out back when it first came out. I thought gee, a protective film is cool, but never thought people would have to find out it was there like this. I will say even if I knew it was there, and hadn't seen the product video, I probably would have removed it before application, not realizing it could be left on till the end. I get lucky sometimes.

JBurton

Signtologist
It'd be nice if they told people it came with a clear ontop so more people didn't get surprised
I'm a frugal nerd, so when the 2080 was announced, I read the product bulletins and such and made note of this as the primary difference, other than generally being described as 'better' across the board. Just saying, when you're spending so much money on new, premium materials, the bulletins are put out for a reason. Still haven't needed to touch any 2080, but I know the film is there. If anything I'd fault your distributor's sales rep, unless it's coming direct from 3m, as they should have given a rundown when you went to place an order and they said they'd ship the new 2080 in place of 1080 that you'd been using for years.

ikarasu

We buy direct from 3m. Funny thing is our 3m rep was puzzled as to why it was so matte.... He was sure it had a protective cover on it, but he tried for 5 mins to peel it off.... On the silver it's on there pretty good.

We ended up having to take a knife and shave it off enough so that we could grab onto the film.

And yes... Our printer operator did some cut graphics and didn't peel it off... It was a huge pain to get it off the silver. We ended up garaging $200 in material and re cutting it

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When I ordered it, I asked for 1080 black gloss from fellers. The guy paused and said do you want the new 2080 ?? I said, what's the difference cost-wise. He said he didn't know except it only replaced the 1080 and in gloss, I didn't have a choice anyway. I looked it up and I don't think the protective coating is across the board. I believe it's only on the gloss colors. It's a great idea and works great...... just wish the guy had answered me with a worthwhile answer when I asked.

JBurton

Signtologist
just wish the guy had answered me with a worthwhile answer when I asked.
from fellers.
Well there's part of your problem... nothing wrong with using fellers, but expecting the same level of help from your 'sales rep' as from a dedicated salesman from a distributor is silly. In my experience, Fellers never takes me to lunch to tell me funny stories about other sign companies. GSG, Reece, Eastern Metal, Daktronics, hell even Grimco once did even though we never used them... it helps that the other major player in my city is the world's biggest a$$hole, or at least he was until he sold out a couple months ago!