• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega 1.56 License Issue after AntiVirus upgrade

Jpelavin

Hello,
We had been using Omega Composer 1.56 on 2 machines with Parallel port hardware block v. 1.5. on each pc however 1 copy of Omega is no longer working.

We installed Mcafee Internet Security software on both, the result on only one computer is that
"This system is not licensed for this version of OMEGA"

Diagnosis so far:
I put in the 1.56 Upgrade Disk and ran the Rblock Test - and the txt:
GSPblock.txt
"GSP RBLOCK v1,0,0,3"
"SproInitialize failed!

Prior to installing Mcafee, I did remove Nortons AV 2004 (the subscription had run out long ago.) - is it possible it took a file along with it?

I have uninstalled Mcafee Internet Security - with no luck.

Windows Firewall is turned off (thinking possible issue reaching the block?)
We are running Windows XP Pro. ver 2002 SP3

Lastly - we have ALL the Omega disks all the way back to 1.50 however they were made for Win 95 etc.

I am trying to avoid removing all Omega from the disk and reinstalling - because I dont know if the older versions of the software can be installed on the newer operating system - A PC person would know this..

Version 1.51 says it's for Windows 95, or 98 - Will this install on Windows XP?

I could try to reinstall 1.54 version and then re-upgrade to 1.56 but this is a drastic move and not sure if it's good to do.

1.56 Disk has a utility that cleans all old configuration files from previous versions - is this recomended?

I dont believe this is a software problem.. I think it's a configuration/missing file problem.

Please email me - jason.signsbytomorrow@verizon.net or call: 781-937-6077 - if you're inclined to troubleshoot ('cause you got nothing else to do! hah..)

Thanks,
jason

Marlene

Version 1.51 says it's for Windows 95, or 98 - Will this install on Windows XP?

I could try to reinstall 1.54 version and then re-upgrade to 1.56 but this is a drastic move and not sure if it's good to do.

none will work with windows xp as far as I have been told

you installed McAfee and xp? did you have it running on xp before installing McAfee?

Jpelavin

Absolutely Running

Marlene,
Thanks for your quick reply...
YES - had Omega 1.56 running on XP with no problemo's...

So here's what I'm doing - I had to find out if the Block was still okay...

I have another PC which is running XP Pro - so I started on that pc.. with 1.54 - clean install *using the block from the work pc.

It installed just fine!! Recognized the block and all...

I'm in the process of Upgrading to 1.56 - and for S's & Giggles.. .it asked me to Update the Rainbow blah blah.. - Had to remove the Block for that instal... then reboot - continue the Upgrade process.
=- BTW - the 1.56 disk does *does - have XP as a supported OS - however 1.54 did not - so the fact that it installed at all is a good thing.

It seems to be running great on the new PC .. with 1.56 upgraded - using the Block. I ran the Block Text from the 1.56 Disk and it came up a valid block!!

Now here's the scary part... i think I have to blow away the Omega on the Work PC, Re-install Mcafee, then Reinstall just as I have done on the Work PC from a clean PC starting with 1.54~!

Jpelavin

Marlene,
Here's the result - Everything is WORKING!!!
Short answer: I think "Think" that... Mcafee or something associated with it's install - inverted the LPT ports on the PC. We have 2 parallel ports - 1x for the Omega Block and the 2nd for the Edge (Yes folks - old school).
0. - Installed Mcafee knowing it's not the sotfware its the config.
1. I uninstalled ALL of the Omega stuff (had to manually remove some folders)
2. Inverted the Parallel Port connections (Switched the Edge / Block)
3. Installed 1.56 (Skipped 1.54) - and had to Install the new Rainbow Drivers (communication between PC & Block).
4. Completed Install of 1.56
5. To my amazement - it Recognized both my HS-15 Plotter (shared machine on another PC) and the Edge!!

All is well in the world.

Thanks for the help and suggestion. It was good to type out the plan.. and get some feedback!
- J

The Equipment Guy

Jason,

I spoke to your Dad a few minutes ago. I think you might need to set up sentinel driver to correctly see the port that you are installing the block on. Not 100% sure but I think that GA is "polling" the ports to find the block whereas with sentinel driver set up it tells GA exactly what port the block is on and to look only there. I would not mess with it now if it is working, but if it does end up not finding it again, look on your disks for the sentinel driver setup. (I think they used sentinel driver in 1.56 but its been a while now)

Craig

Jpelavin

Yes - they did use Sentinel Driver on 1.56 and the only minor glitch that I ran into was the assignment of the proper port (LPT1 vs LPT2) for the Edge machine - simple config and test file sent..worked fine.... it's felt more as though it was a 'pointer' than a reader.
Anyways.. looks like it's working (knocking on 1/4" PVC)..
Thanks,
Jason

Replicator

Just for some future reference. Most programs will tell you to turn off your anti-virus software prior to installing their program,

Not sure this would have helped you, but it's a good tidbit of in formation to remember !

Techman

Lose McAfee, Lose Norton. They both suck...
Lose most any of those "suites" they too intrusive and cause too many unnecessary aches and pains..

Marlene

the reason I asked is I had to upgrade my 'puter to XP to download 2.0 when it came out as '98 didn't support it. I guess it's OK to download older software onto newer windows but not newer software onto older windows.

glad you were able to get it up and running again!