• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega 4.0 Smart Edit issues....Grrrr....

threeputt

Is anyone else having the same problems I am with the new ReAction chains in Smart Edit functions?

I'd love to be able to disable this. Is there any way?

Or alternatively, find a work around for this "new, improved" function that I find far more cumbersome than the old one.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
My first experience was like yours. I hated it. Then I calmed down and paid attention to what it was giving me and now I love it. The trick is to pick the right smart edit for what you want to change.

threeputt

Hi Fred,
Ok...I'm calmed down, been reading in the help menu, but still notice that when you want to de-select only portions of a group, it's a no-go. Or physically move certain shapes or blocks of lettering around, it automatically re-applies the smart edit items you've disabled moments before.

Just moving the text block will trigger this.

I guess I'm not the expert I thought I was. For 25 years I've been with Gerber and bought all of their upgrades. This one, hah! Don't see the big benefit in it.....................yet.

Are we the only two users of 4.0 on the forum?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't have 4.0 ... only up to 3.0. But I have one job that calls for serial numbers where I have to make sets of four of the same number in order and then advance to the next in columns of 32 labels. It has three smart edits and I can go in to set it up for a different serial number and change a run of 1000 sets in about a minute using the ReAction feature. So I've found it to be very helpful.

OTOH, I have learned the hard way long before they came along with ReAction to finalize my size and position before using any Smart Edit feature.

signage

Three Put I think you go to tools and in the general tool uncheck reaction and save as default that would disable it!

threeputt

Brian, thank you!

You did it! I still have the smart edit capabilities (of outline,shadow,text, etc.) but the annoying "regeneration" aspects are disabled!

Wow. That's nice. Owe you one!

Dana Goodale

Hi Three Putt,

In addition to Brian's suggestion:

1. If you hold down CTRL when selecting, this will allow you to break groups and combines when selecting.

THEN, continue to hold down the CTRL key when you move these objects and you will have a copy of the objects WITHOUT the smart edit. You can then edit the graphics to your hearts content on the copies without the underlying regeneration.

You can also select an entire graphic (or ReAction "tree") or part of a graphic, then copy and paste, then use EDIT>Convert to Objects on the pasted version. This will keep the original graphic as "smart-editable" but allow you to edit the other copy without all the underlying regeneration.

FYI, if You select an ENTIRE graphic (ie. text+outline + shadow), then copy and paste and do NOT convert to objects, the second pasted result will be fully smart editable.

Generally, 3.0 and 4.0 regeneration are similar to previous versions but they sometimes occur automatically when TOOLS>Options>General is set to automatic Regeneration (As you have discovered!). This spontaneous regeneration still may occur but you can use the above techniques to help with this.

If possible:
-Try to avoid DELETING outlines and shadows (avoid Edit>Delete) as they will return spontaneously. Instead, double click on a graphic and turn OFF outlines and shadows in the ReAction tree or in the dialog boxes.
-Try to avoid breaking groups and combines and editing parts of groups and combines as this will cause weird regeneration.

It takes a slight amount of extra time to do these two extra steps but will make your overall reaction experience smoother and more productive.

There are some reAction videos in the OMEGA 3.0 section of the Gerber website, and in the MTSSandbox if you wish to peruse.

THANKS!

Dana