• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega 5.0 Installation help

artofacks1

I just got my Edge FX and Envision cutter today. I was all excited because everything got here. As I grab the Omega Software box and get the dvd out to install the software. I forgot that my new Mac Book Pro Doesn't have a dvd player. LOL!!!

What do you guys recommend I do? I was thinking going to best buy to get a dvd player. Use it and than return it.

Next is contacting GMS and asking if they have a secure download so I do not have to do that.

Nelson Newbie

Wow! You just brought in about $30K worth of equipment and software and you want opinions on defrauding a store over a $40 DVD player.

:awesome:

idsignsil

Get an external dvd drive. you will probably need it once in a while if customers bring in artwork.

While you are buying accessories...

Get an external dvd drive. you will probably need it once in a while if customers bring in artwork.

That was quick! Glad it is all intact.
Don't forget that Omega only runs on a Windows OS. So if you don't already have one, you will want to buy a Windows machine, unless you want to try operating the system from Parallels. We were successful running it from Parallels when it was first offered (1997?), but running two OS's was a memory hog. We haven't tried it since. Also, Gerber doesn't officially support Omega on the Mac in any form. May I suggest a nice Windows box running Win7 Pro? You can even get one with a DVD on board. And don't forget the card reader for those customers who like to save stuff on memory cards.

I hope that prevents some frustration.

Thank you for your business,
Doug

artofacks1

Got Omega Installed and the Edge FX set up.

I connected the EdgeFX to the router with the cable. The computer is still wireless.

I installed Omega on my MacBook Pro Parallels which has Windows 8 installed and runs well.

Is there a first print video I can watch? I played around with composer and designed some stuff. Its very user friendly since I have a lot of experience with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

I also set up the printer GSP Tray.

lastly I opened the file in GSP Plot which I made in composer as a test which is just the word "Test" with green ink. I am not sure how to send it to the edge fx printer to print now.

Any help is appreciated.

That was quick! Glad it is all intact.
Don't forget that Omega only runs on a Windows OS. So if you don't already have one, you will want to buy a Windows machine, unless you want to try operating the system from Parallels. We were successful running it from Parallels when it was first offered (1997?), but running two OS's was a memory hog. We haven't tried it since. Also, Gerber doesn't officially support Omega on the Mac in any form. May I suggest a nice Windows box running Win7 Pro? You can even get one with a DVD on board. And don't forget the card reader for those customers who like to save stuff on memory cards.

I hope that prevents some frustration.

Thank you for your business,
Doug

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Got Omega Installed and the Edge FX set up.

I connected the EdgeFX to the router with the cable. The computer is still wireless.

I installed Omega on my MacBook Pro Parallels which has Windows 8 installed and runs well.

Is there a first print video I can watch? I played around with composer and designed some stuff. Its very user friendly since I have a lot of experience with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

I also set up the printer GSP Tray.

lastly I opened the file in GSP Plot which I made in composer as a test which is just the word "Test" with green ink. I am not sure how to send it to the edge fx printer to print now.

Any help is appreciated.

To print to the Edge from GSPPlot simply press F10 or click on the Edge icon on the toolbar. If the Edge isn't already set to Online" do so. Press once and you will see what vinyl to load. Press a second time and you will see what foil to load. Press a third time and printing will commence. If you want to be able to cut it out cleanly after printing, you will need to apply a bleed to the letters first in Composer.