• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega VS. Sign Lab

Brend-O

Do all my design in Illustrator CS3 on a mac, import all my files into Omega 2.6.1 ( on our PC) for output onto an Edge FX.. Working with the files to get them finalized for output in Omega has got to be the most painful experience of my life.. that program is so slow I want to poke my eyes out... we're talkin 3 painful hours hours to send a 13mb file to the edge for output.. Our PC has the Intel Quad 2.4 Q6600 chip w/4gb ram, so its not exactly a boat anchor.. Also run Intel quad 2.66 Mac Pro w/12GB ram..Looking for alternatives?? Would be awesome to get something to work on our $6000 apple... The new Sign Lab 8 looks pretty sweet.. Does this work on a mac?? any feedback // input about the perks/benfits of each and speed performance etc.. Not sure how much longer I can handle workin on a PC especially with a program that seems so 1977..

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If it's taking 3 hours to send a 13 mb file to your Edge you have something wrong with your stup on on your network. We drive our 1998 Edge LE from a directly connected LPT port on an AMD single core average PC. If we were to RIP a 13 mb file, it would take 3 to 5 minutes including the saving of the separations.

Brend-O

$6000 apple is worth every last penny.. :)... The files are pretty detailed custom vector graphics with lots of small objects to process... not just a 13mb enter and exit sign file.. The 3 hours is the time it takes once the file is all ready for print in plot and you hit send to device for print.. it has to convert to spool file or whatever.. In Composer I can't even view the file in preview mode to make sure all gradients/halftones.overprints are correct as it takes forever to load all the elements, nevermind even zooming in or panning the screen as it has to reload all over again everytime.. I need to know if anyone has experience with SignLab and how it compares to omega...

Tony Teveris

Brend-O can you email me the PLT file(s) you are having problems with. I'd like to see what you are dealing with. When you select all the objects in the file how many are there?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i'm agreeing with fred on this....i've run some very large files (with images and vector) and have never had an issue when the files send to the edge (i have an le like fred).....i think the most i've waited was ten minutes....NEVER three hours....i'd take tony up on his offer to look at the file....

chopper

I use signlab as a rip and have no problems never takes more than a few seconds to rip a file, never really looked at the size but I know that they were way bigger than 13mb...
I am using a pc not a mac...
//chopper

Marlene

Tony, how many items can Omega deal with now? I know the older versions had a limit, does 2.6.1?