• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PDF / Illy Issues

Angela

I am trying to place a pdf into illy for print, but once placed the PDF in illy is not what it should look like? I am not quite sure how to describe it, I am just hoping that someone out there understands what I am saying.

Angela

Please see attached, I hope I did it right.

Attachments

• good pdf3.JPG
    good pdf3.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 124
  • bad pdf.JPG
    bad pdf.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 185

J Hill Designs

My guess is its an issue with overprints. I dont know illy very well, but I assume there is a way to 'ignore' them on import?

Matt-Tastic

Do you know what program the PDF was made in? Any program in the world can create a PDF, so there is not really any standard in the format. If it is a PDF made from AI, there is some sort of mask on it. I doubt it's an AI PDF, however. It was probably made with something else, and its causing issues when AI tries to read it.

Bill Modzel

Essentially, you have a "negative" of your file. I've had it happen to me once before and I'm trying to remember what I did to correct it. Another sign shop sent me three files to print and only one of them printed like this.

Can you just open it in acrobat and re-save it as a new document?

MikePro

never had this happen to me, BUT if it did... i'd simply open in Adobe Acrobat Pro (or Photoshop) and save as a TIFF and then print or insert into illy for additional setup for print.

John Butto

Did you go to File/Place or did you have Illustrator opened and file/open for the .pdf. If it happens for both then what MikePro suggest might be your answer.

Angela

Did you go to File/Place or did you have Illustrator opened and file/open for the .pdf. If it happens for both then what MikePro suggest might be your answer.
Indeed I tried both ways, to no avail. I am asking what program she designs in.

Angela

never had this happen to me, BUT if it did... i'd simply open in Adobe Acrobat Pro (or Photoshop) and save as a TIFF and then print or insert into illy for additional setup for print.

Just tried to open in photoshop, same thing

WI

Check your swatch palette, and see if there's not a color in the artwork that doesn't match your colorspace. What I mean is that if it's a CMYK file, see if there's an RGB swatch somewhere on the page, or vice versa. That's kind of an oddball longshot, but the last time I saw that kind of bizarro color-reversing, that was what was causing it.