• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perfect vinyl for me?

hoeegh

Hi there forum members

I just found this forum, and thought it looked great! I hope I can contribute in some way in the future, right now I'm still pretty much a newbie in this business.

I was hoping you guys could help me in my search for a vinyl that suits my needs.
I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for any where!

Here's the specs:

- Cast
- Matte and in many colors. (at least, blue, pink, green, white, black & red)
- NOT car wrapping vinyl

The reason I've put in not car vinyl, is that they are too expensive, and too thick.
I've tried the 3M Scotchprint Wrap 1080, and besides being too expensive, it's also so thick, that it's hard to peel small details < 1cm. Makes sense since it's a car wrap film I guess :)

So, any suggestions out there?

Really hope you can help me out!

Thanks a bunch!

BR
Mads

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Translucent films are generally satin (semi-gloss) finish and are intended for backlit applications because they pass light. The problem you will have with translucent films in your intended use will be color shifting. For example, if you apply blue translucent to a yellow surface, it will color shift towards green.

J Hill Designs

Fred is very correct about color shift - it really needs to be used on a white substrate.

SOME vinyl manufacturers offer cast matte colors, but not many colors to choose from for the most part.

if you need a color in matte for any non-white applications, I can only think of using matte laminate over it.

hoeegh

Translucent films are generally satin (semi-gloss) finish and are intended for backlit applications because they pass light. The problem you will have with translucent films in your intended use will be color shifting. For example, if you apply blue translucent to a yellow surface, it will color shift towards green.

Ahh I see. Yes that might be a problem. Maybe I should have shown you guys what my product is:
582124_411202662311876_255981386_n.jpg 1383150_465054243593384_893178051_n.jpg 644125_468354249930050_2119810883_n.jpg 1382271_471788679586607_200474465_n.jpg 1146647_446403142125161_1996725681_n.jpg

It's stuff like this. Regarding the light in the Apple logo, the only ones I sell to be placed on top of the Apple logo, are black, as the light shines through my colors. So the vinyl I'm looking for needs a black version that blocks light.

Right now I'm using Oracal 631 or MacTac 8900 Pro - like I wrote, I can't find anything cast, only cal.

hoeegh

Fred is very correct about color shift - it really needs to be used on a white substrate.

SOME vinyl manufacturers offer cast matte colors, but not many colors to choose from for the most part.

if you need a color in matte for any non-white applications, I can only think of using matte laminate over it.

I don't need that many colors, just the 'essentials'.

Have a look at my other reply for more info on my product.

Thanks again!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It does. But what about the colors. But the colors are translucent then?

How would these look if applied on a black surface?

I think you'll find that interest in matte colors is a fairly recent thing and very limited beyond vehicle wraps ... so it's not likely any cast vinyl manufacturers are going to commit to it. To many, myself included, there is an association with cheap vinyl when it comes to matte finishes. Oracal 631 is a poor choice for you not just because it is calendared, but also because the adhesive is removeable. My suggestion to you would be to find someone with a Gerber Edge and have them print whatever colors you want on a white cast vinyl and then overprint it with a matte clear foil. Unlike overlaminating with a matte laminate, you will hardly notice any increase in thickness with Edge printed vinyl which you can then cut on your plotter.

hoeegh

for matte colors, only two things I can think are:

cast vinyl with matte lam
trans vinyl laminated to opaque white
Sorry again for having such little knowledge, but matte lamination is a process before of after cutting the vinyl?
How does one do it?

hoeegh

I think you'll find that interest in matte colors is a fairly recent thing and very limited beyond vehicle wraps ... so it's not likely any cast vinyl manufacturers are going to commit to it. To many, myself included, there is an association with cheap vinyl when it comes to matte finishes. Oracal 631 is a poor choice for you not just because it is calendared, but also because the adhesive is removeable. My suggestion to you would be to find someone with a Gerber Edge and have them print whatever colors you want on a white cast vinyl and then overprint it with a matte clear foil. Unlike overlaminating with a matte laminate, you will hardly notice any increase in thickness with Edge printed vinyl which you can then cut on your plotter.

You're right about the 631, that why I'm really hoping to find something else.

Well I guess I cannot rule car wraps entirely out, it's just the 3M is way to thick and hard to handle when it comes to small details. I have tried the 3M Scotchcal series 80 in glossy, which I in many ways really like, except it's kinda hard to peel, and of course because it's glossy.

So you know of a more inexpensive car wrap film, that's not too thick?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You're right about the 631, that why I'm really hoping to find something else.

Well I guess I cannot rule car wraps entirely out, it's just the 3M is way to thick and hard to handle when it comes to small details. I have tried the 3M Scotchcal series 80 in glossy, which I in many ways really like, except it's kinda hard to peel, and of course because it's glossy.

So you know of a more inexpensive car wrap film, that's not too thick?

No I don't. Why would you not try my Edge print suggestion or you could also go to a screen printer and have them flood coat your preferred film with matte finish colored ink?

hoeegh

No I don't. Why would you not try my Edge print suggestion or you could also go to a screen printer and have them flood coat your preferred film with matte finish colored ink?

It's not that I wouldn't do that, I just can't believe there's not a product like this already.
I'll need to see if I can find someone who does this then. :)

Okay, so if you had to go with a CAL instead of CAST, what's the highest quality with matt color you know off (brand/model)? What would recommend?

domj87

Have you looked at FDC 2100 line? They've got a ton of colors in various finishes. Cast vinyl. It's without air channels so its better for graphic markings and signage not full wraps. Much less expensive than 3M.