• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop question regarding color.

threeputt

I know that I really need to take a course, or bone up on color theory in general.

But can anyone help with a couple of quick questions from a rookie?

When developing a layout for print in PS, should one work in RGB or CMYK?

If one works in RGB, when and where does the color conversion to CMYK actually take place? In the RIP? Or do you do it manually before exporting the work from PhotoShop?

Thirdly, which setting should I have "ticked", the 8 bit color or the 16 bit color?

Thanks in advance for your tutoring and help.

industryphoto

Its better that the document that your going to print be CMYK before it's sent to print or you could have some unusual color interpretation by the rip. 8bitbit is what can be printed 16 bit is only used by advanced computer monitors

G

gps-hi

Here's the catch... in order to have access to all of Photoshops effects you have to use RGB. Once you've done all your effects convert to CYMK to check color shifting.

Modern Ink

We design in RGB > Save - Then convert to CMYK > Save (to a production folder or temp folder)

If it is a large file (wrap, etc) we will save this to a disc.

We also have (2) 500gig drives in our design stations. So have lots o' storage.

MachServTech

If you are wondering how a particular file will look when output you can use the "proof color" feature in Photoshop to preview how your RGB file will print on your CMYK printer...on screen. All you have to do is pull the .icc file that you reference in your RIP from the "proof color" dialogue in Photoshop. (this is assuming that you are going to let the RIP do the RGB to CMYK color conversion.
For example I want to print on ControlTac, so to soft proof in Photoshop I find the IJ180C.icc from Onyx or whatever RIP then plug that into proof color.

J Hill Designs

Ive always heard that when sending to RIP as CMYK, it converts to RGB then back to CMYK - Ive had my best prints come out as RGB into the RIP

MachServTech

Sending RGB to the RIP will maximize the amount of colors available to your printers full capability. If you convert before you send to the rip, its usually clipping everything down to much less than your printers full capability.

visualeyez

The CMYK profile US Coated Web Swap 2.0 has a gamut limited to offset printing, which is smaller than your printers gamut.
The RGB profile Adobe 1998 was developed for CMYK printing (look it up if you don't believe me).
The sRGB profile has a gamut limited down to look similar on most monitors, digital cameras, etc.
Never uses US Web Swop for CMYK printing, it will not give you the same gamut you can achieve when sending an Adobe 1998 tagged file to RIP.
If I want to print something that is in sRGB format or Web Swop format, I convert it Adobe 1998 before sending to rip. Color will POP.

-Keith

MachServTech

I agree that Adobe RGB 1998 is best for print applications, but dont let that stop you from sending files that a designer built in sRGB to the RIP. If they designed in that space and you set up your Source profile in the RIP to sRGB then sRGB should work fine. Though I should say that I have optimized my workflow for RGB 1998 as well.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I'm from an offset printing background so originally I did EVERYTHING in CMYK... was not always happy with the results... then I sent a file through versaworks that was an RGB (I had forgotten to change to CMYK after photoshop filters) and it was much better then the almost exact file I had printed a couple days before in CMYK.

I'm an RGB convert now.

threeputt

This is the way my settings look in PhotoShop 7.0. (I know it very old)

Should they be set differently?

I print on a Roland SP-540v using Versaworks RIP.

Appreciate any and all comments.

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 72

threeputt

Techman, I've read through the entire comments by Brian. But I'm still very confused. Since he's setting up artwork for sheet-fed print production, would those settings be useful for me and my application?

What I'd ideally like is for someone who's running similar software and hardware to help with the exact settings.

visualeyez

Threeputt: First change your RGB working space to Adobe 1998. You also want to change your Color Management Policies all to "Convert to working...". This will convert any rgb document you open into Adobe 1998, which is the ideal profile for CMYK printing. I would also reccomend converting any CMYK files you recieve into Adobe 1998 RGB before printing.