• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Prep Illustrator ATV / Snowmobile Graphic Files for Printing

BryceG

Need help in trying to finalize file(s) to print our first snowmobile hood and tunnel graphics. I am at the point of needing to get this done and willing to pay set it up for nested printing within Illustrator or allow Flexi to do the nesting. The purchased template layout is too wide for the material we print on, (which seems to be typical) and need to rearrange the individual template objects, without any changes to the positions of the text/logos and the image used as back ground. Once the Illustrator files are finalized and saved, the files will be reopened in Flexi to print on our HP 335 Latex printer.

I have been searching for help on the topics of clipping masks, groups, compound paths, etc., I have yet to find help on how to rearrange the finished objects for printing on the material we have in house or set it up so Flexi can use it's nesting function to achieve the desired result.

The best example of what I am trying to say / achieve can be found at the following link:
It talks about two different backgrounds, vector or image. Based on what I read, I believe it is best to save the original vector art as an image because there are literally 100's of vector paths that make up the design.

The following are the process steps I am trying to use and I keep failing to complete the first pass.

If the background is an image​

• Make the first mask > Copy > Paste in place
  • Select the next vector > Cut
  • Click twice the Mask to isolate the Clip Group
  • Click twice the Clip Group to isolate the Clipping Path
  • Paste in place
  • Delete the old Clipping Path vector, with this process you are replacing it
  • Click twice on an empty area of the document to exit the clipping mask edition
  • Repeat with the next vectors
Regards,

Bryce

Attachments

• Hood graphics.jpg
    Hood graphics.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Tunnel graphics.jpg
    Tunnel graphics.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 94

unclebun

The templates are set up so that you can visualize how they fit together on the ski. They aren't meant to be printed in that arrangement. Take the pieces and rearrange them to fit in your print width.

BryceG

Thank you for your reply.

I get that. Unfortunately, as designed it cannot be done. Tried ungrouping - no visual changes. Multiple objects are selected when only clicking on one. Released clipping mask and had a mess.

Tried a different approach - Creating a clipping mask for each individual object. End result is each object can be moved for nesting purposes. However the file size is more than double the original size.

Process Steps:

* Added a new Artboard

- Selected one object on the template are, Selected the background, and if necessary selected the text/graphics specific to the object.
- Created a clipping mask
- Copied the contents of the clipping mask
- Pasted contents onto the new Artboard
- Flatten Transparency
- Reselected the original object
- Released clipping mask
- Repeat for each individual object until done

* Delete original Artboard.
* Move / nest each individual object

If this is the only way to achieve object movability, then so be it. If there is a better and faster way to achieve the end result without the huge increase in file size, I would like to learn the correct process steps.

Regards,

victor bogdanov

Create an arboard for each section of the design, export the artboards as pdf ( draw the arboards all in one file, artboards can overlap etc)

You now have artboards that contain a whole section + some extra from other sections. Print the files as is , cut away the partial/incomplete sections.

That's how I would do it. The little bit of wasted material is not as bad as time wasted trying to nest it all together perfectly

Rough example:

1.png

Last edited:

BryceG

Also why does it matter how big the file is? Sounds like you had it figured out but large file size is no go?

Thank you for the idea of using multiple artboards. After the printing and laminating is done, the next step is to load it on the cutter. By following the process previously mentioned, I was not expecting the file size to be 7 times larger. I was hoping there was a command that could be used after the clipping mask to discard all hidden parts of various paths and/or images used as part of the background and lock everything down to the template object. I was also hoping that each printable object would be independent and not grouped with any other objects.

Since I do not know with any certainty, my thought is that when using an existing template layout, a layer for text / logo, and a layer for a background; I thinking I be able be able to start printing a new graphic "very quickly" if the only thing I am changing is some text or only swapping background images. Right now, that does not appear possible, at least with the steps I am trying to use.

I will try the multiple artboard concept.

BryceG

Thank you for the idea of using multiple artboards. After the printing and laminating is done, the next step is to load it on the cutter. By following the process previously mentioned, I was not expecting the file size to be 7 times larger. I was hoping there was a command that could be used after the clipping mask to discard all hidden parts of various paths and/or images used as part of the background and lock everything down to the template object. I was also hoping that each printable object would be independent and not grouped with any other objects.

Since I do not know with any certainty, my thought is that when using an existing template layout, a layer for text / logo, and a layer for a background; I thinking I be able be able to start printing a new graphic "very quickly" if the only thing I am changing is some text or only swapping background images. Right now, that does not appear possible, at least with the steps I am trying to use.

I will try the multiple artboard concept.

unclebun

If they had the objects combined as large ones, you need to break them apart before you start adding your graphics so that each individual piece of vinyl is an individual object. Those with holes you will have to recombine the outline with the hole. Then when you go to print, you can handle each piece individually and nest them together to fit on your material.

BryceG

Based on additional information provided here and talking with a few other people, for now it appears the most likely solutions is to:
* Open the template file
* Add guidelines to indicated widest printable area taking into account space needed for cutter alignment marks
* Select objects that completely fit between the guides and click on Compound Path
* Repeat for each section until done.
* Then add the additional layers and create a clipping mask for each group.
* Create and size new artboards for each compound path.
* Copy and paste each clipping mask to the corresponding artboard to be used to for printing.
At this point, I am assuming I just need to print each artboard. I am hoping this is the last step as I have not printed it yet.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
If they had the objects combined as large ones, you need to break them apart before you start adding your graphics so that each individual piece of vinyl is an individual object. Those with holes you will have to recombine the outline with the hole. Then when you go to print, you can handle each piece individually and nest them together to fit on your material.

This seems like the simplest/most logical way to do it, unless I'm missing something.

Take it one step forward and use a true shape nesting plugin and you're away to the races.