• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question prepping MDO

netsol

a few weeks ago, gino gave advice on prepping primed mdo
i have cut to size, filled the holes & started priming
he mentioned 3 coats of primer on the edges
SINCE I BOUGHT PRE-PRIMED
1 additional primer coat on the flat, primed surfaces should be enough?

kcollinsdesign

Old member
1. Ease the corners and edges with a file or corner rounder (or router) before you do anything. Sharp edges will not allow enough surface area for a proper film of paint to form. The sharp edge corners will fail first. Lightly sand and throughly clean all surfaces with a tack cloth.

2. Before you fill the voids with wood putty (wood plastic), prime the cut edges. The raw wood will draw moisture from the un-set wood putty, making it crumbly when dry (in addition, the presence of calcium carbonate in wood putty is another reason not to use it on raw wood in order to prevent degradation). The primer will help prevent that from happening. Do not use "wood filler" to fill the voids (there is a difference between wood putty and the various types of wood filler).

3. Two to three additional coats of alkyd based (not fast drying) primer on the cut edges (after the putty has dried, sanding in between coats). At least one additional coat of primer on the flat surfaces on pre-primed boards, two to three coats on raw MDO.

4. Top coat with the finish of your choice. Assuming you are doing this by hand and not spraying acrylic polyurethane (best choice) use a good quality acrylic latex or alkyd enamel. Bulletin enamel works great for a really smooth, glassy surface, but latex will likely last longer on an outdoor sign.

• Informative
Reactions: 2B