• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing Confusion

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
The last two quotes I did for friends of friends I even did layouts which they liked.
Never heard from them again.
I did see my layout being driven around town one day though.
It looked great!

Been there too

Kchapin

The last two quotes I did for friends of friends I even did layouts which they liked.
Never heard from them again.
I did see my layout being driven around town one day though.
It looked great!

Oh no!! That's awful!!

petepaz

two things, one you don't know what material was quoted or even what was quoted (unless you saw a copy of the other quotes) so it's apples to oranges and two some people just want/expect a discount no matter who they are. just always expecting a deal.

2B

two things, one you don't know what material was quoted or even what was quoted (unless you saw a copy of the other quotes) so it's apples to oranges and two some people just want/expect a discount no matter who they are. just always expecting a deal.

this exactly, we are constantly battling the "well they will do it for XXXXX amount"
To help and solve this we have 2 options for them.
  • have them provide a copy of the quote, this usually stops all price haggling.
  • We have ordered products from the competition and show them you are getting their quality or you are getting our quality

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Nowadays I tell potential customers right up front if it gets brought up, if price is the only thing that matters then we are probably not the best shop for you. I see so often, new shops that find or hear or whatever that many places charge per SF and find out what other shops charge but then fail to consider that the per SF price is based on the material that comes off the roll, not necessarily what the customer gets. They fail to account for the waste and all and price it based on the SF of actual material being installed.

Or as mentioned, I might ask to see a copy of the quote they got so I can be sure we are comparing the same materials, etc.

bpatrick3

You answered your own question or your customer did when they stated they like YOUR work and the other shop
can not do what you are offering. Tell them to go tell the Cadillac dealer they want the Cadillac for the price of a Cruze.
After all they are both just cars. lol

spectrum maine

pricing

your pricing is fair- depending on the complexity of each window. think about it.. would you letter 2 sides of a van for $400? (thats about 2 windows.) i have a franchise shop in my area undercutting me by 20-40% on similar jobs & they have a much higher overhead & franchise fees.
cant wait for the auction. lowest price means you are the biggest loser.
there used to be a day when the sign painter was a coveted member of the community, like a cobbler or a dentist. now it is a commodity, like gas.
the people that are whoring work out at 1/2 market value are just working to pay overhead. they fall hard after there second mortgage & credit cards are all maxxed out.