• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PRINTING GREY ISSUES

BSL Graphix

Printing a couple of wraps that have some larger areas (18" x 36") of solid grey in the design. When i print them, the grey has a lot of light and dark spots. I am using 3M IJ35c vinyl on a Mutoh 1204 Printer and Flexisign. I don't notice this with any other colors. Also, when I shrink the wrap down to 20% to do a test print, I do not notice this issue. The color itself is the shade I am looking for, I just prints real inconsistent for larger sections.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
When i print them, the grey has a lot of light and dark spots.
A routine test upon initial machine setup is to print a square, solid gray file of equal RGB values of 128, 128, 128 as wide as the machine will accommodate its widest media. Some files include certain geometric key line shapes of squares and circles as a quality evaluation also. Repeat the test whenever you want to reevaluate.

If you're noticing light and dark spots on your print so small as 18"x36", the machine is due for some level of service although it could be as simple as clearing vacuum ports.

Good luck.

unmateria

Hi :) that is normal with old (+18 months) or defective rolls. Try to print in another vynil roll before becoming mad with the printer :)

Johnny Best

If you are getting close to the gray you desire using a Mutoh 1204 with Flexisign, you should be happy for that. If you work in saved rgb the RIP will convert it to cmyk. The light and dark spots might be corrected using higher print mode like super fine and raise your head up with the lever on the right side by the parked head.

• Agree
Reactions: bob

ToneCustomSigns

The Mutoh is funny with greys. I use a spot black and I'll use a precentage of that black to get a good grey. So find one that is close to grey you need.
Then go to the Output settings tap in the Rip and Print manager. From there, select color settings. Then click on the rendering intent tab. You'll see Default rendering intents.
Select Pure Hue from the Vector line (assuming you have a vector file here). Then you can select the color you want to preserve and adjust the tolerance from there.
I hope that helps you.

ToneCustomSigns

Dealing with grey issues on the Mutoh can be a bit tricky, right? I've found playing around with spot black and adjusting the percentage really helps nail the perfect shade. Also, heading to the Output settings in Rip and Print manager, choosing Pure Hue from the Vector line, and tweaking the tolerance can make a significant difference.
??? Isn't that what I said?