• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on coated MDF (Ikea furniture style materials)

the4uto

We are looking to be able to print on a coated MDF. We are having issues with the coating scratching off way too easily. We do not have a lacquer system. Has anyone run into similar problems and found a solution? Possibly some kind of spray coat or adhesion promoter? I've never had much luck with the latter.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What's scratching off ?? The coating on the MDF or your ink ??

In other words, you're trying to get your ink to stick to a surface that is purposely put on to prevent marring, stains and just about any other marking that a kid could put on furniture ?? Sounds like you're gonna hafta scare up the surface and spray on an ink accepting finish. Not a promoter, but a clear coat and get rid of the factory finish.

the4uto

Yes, our ink. That seems like the right answer, unfortunately. Just seeing if anyone has had success with anything less labor intensive.

greysquirrel

ahhh melamine board....I can tell you water will remove r1000 ink from it without any effort. UV cure will fare better...maybe varnish over the top. We used to have a screen printer varnish signs years ago for Home Depot...they wanted cheap and did not want to pay for lamination...

rcali

I used to paint for graphics prep and finishing. Laminate generally faired pretty at holding on to a uv cured print, but I would top coat with a conversion varnish to really hold it in. If color is not an issue, aka it can be white, zinzer bin primer sticks to laminated mdf really really well, coat with that, print, then coat with a spray varnish.

Depending on how complicated the print is, consider cut out vinyl?