• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems importing an InDesign created PDF

JoySigns

I didn't find anything about this in a search. I get a corrupt file notification when I try to import a PDF created from InDesign CS3 into Coreldraw X3. Anyone know how to help? Can I tell the InDesign creator to save down? I know nothing about InDesign.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Corel X3 -- not so great for importing PDFs -- X5 is, so far, much better.

In the meantime, there are a number of things one can do like opening the PDF in Acrobat (Reader or Pro) and printing to a PDF (again) using a different PDF renderer like PrimoPDF, for instance -- and then try importing the new PDF...

Also, I've used Inkscape as an intermediary. Inkscape can import almost any PDF, then save as SVG (doesn't always work for X3, though, but worth a shot)

Inkscape is a free, open source vector editor, like CorruptDraw and Adobe Irritator

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Tell the designer to send you an EPS will all fonts to Curves or Outlines. PDFs from InDesign are glitchy if there is Transparency...etc. May need to rasterize everything as well. Lots of other issues to consider if its a complex file.

JoySigns

Thanks folks. I have Inkscape to use as a go-between but it won't even import the entire design (usually if I export it as an EPS from Inkscape into CorelDraw I can open it). I will request it be sent as an EPS.

royster13

The issue is not the pdf but rather the effects, etc. that Corel does not understand.....Adobe will keep updating their software to include stuff that Corel can not interpret...It seems to me they do not want their native files being opened in other programs....

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Not only is it corel....but Adobe continues to add things in InDesign and Illustrator that Rip software in general has a difficult time handling as well.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Not only is it corel....but Adobe continues to add things in InDesign and Illustrator that Rip software in general has a difficult time handling as well.

Which is rather ironic, considering that Adobe publishes the spec for the PDF format, yet can't (or won't) strictly adhere to it themselves...

ntallas81

PDF problem

Hi my friends
I have a problem with Corel Draw X5
When I export a file to pdf which includes bitmaps or psd (photoshop) objects, although I have set them to printable properties, when I send the file to print it (Mimaki JV3 printer, RasterLink Pro II software) the previous objects are not printed. Can you tell me any tips to correct this problem?

Roto

Hi my friends
I have a problem with Corel Draw X5
When I export a file to pdf which includes bitmaps or psd (photoshop) objects, although I have set them to printable properties, when I send the file to print it (Mimaki JV3 printer, RasterLink Pro II software) the previous objects are not printed. Can you tell me any tips to correct this problem?

Export everything as a TIF file and send that to the RIP.
Roto