• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with importing and using an ai file in x3

Kottwitz-Graphics

I'm working on a file that was sent to me as an ai file. It comes in fine, but when I combine the objects, the background image comes to the front, and blocks the smaller images in the center of the object.:banghead:

I would normally not worry about it, but the background of the file has to be a fade, and I need the fade showing through on the void areas.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I'm working on a file that was sent to me as an ai file. It comes in fine, but when I combine the objects, the background image comes to the front, and blocks the smaller images in the center of the object.:banghead:

I would normally not worry about it, but the background of the file has to be a fade, and I need the fade showing through on the void areas.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

When you combine you end up with one object that will be, if memory serves, at the level of the first object selected for combination.

The Object Manager is your friend in this. Open it and see just where everything is in the object stacking order. In the Object Manager you can drag objects to different places in the stacking order.

Or do you mean 'group' rather than combine? The same phenomenon occurs, except that the objects selected for grouping remain discrete objects, since the entire group must exist at some place in the object stacking order.

Kottwitz-Graphics

When you combine you end up with one object that will be, if memory serves, at the level of the first object selected for combination.

The Object Manager is your friend in this. Open it and see just where everything is in the object stacking order. In the Object Manager you can drag objects to different places in the stacking order.

Or do you mean 'group' rather than combine? The same phenomenon occurs, except that the objects selected for grouping remain discrete objects, since the entire group must exist at some place in the object stacking order.

No, it was stacked correctly, ie, the centers were colored white, the outside shape was colored black, and it all looked fine. But when I selected everything, and tried to combine, the black object came to the front, and you can't see the centers.

Everything is a closed path, and I don't see an overlap on any of the lines. I did end up making a slight outline of the outside shape (.01), deleting the original shape, and did the above steps, and it works fine.:banghead:

K Chez

Sounds like the "winding rule" in action! Try selecting one of the objects that disappears, and change the direction of the nodes, then combine. If that works, change the node direction of the objects that you're losing, and you'll be in business.