• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Publish to PDF...

Hello,

I have a drawing containing dwg files that i need to publish to PDF to be able to e-mail. Does anyone have any tips about how getting the file smaller? when i export it becomes 27MB...The .cdr file is only 3,7MB. Also tried to export as bitmap but then it gets even bigger. The document is to be used as read only...

I use corel 12..

-JH

iSign

I use a screen capture program called "ultraSnap" available as a free download by mediachance.com
I use it several times a day, as do all my employees. Can't beat it for grabbing any image out of any program, zooming in on any view & snapping an image of whatever you want to send.

vid

Not knowing what the file looks like and forgetting what I knew of Corel, my best guess is:

Simple: Export as JPG.

Involved (Best Guess 1): I'm guessing there are some Bitmap Fills that are screwing with the conversion to a PDF. Try reducing the size of the illustration to fit a 8.5" x 11" page. (or your European Standard Page size) Then publish to PDF choosing a lower DPI for Down Sampling (hoping to reduce the resolution size of the Bitmap Fills).

Involved (Best Guess 2): Find and Replace the Bitmap fills with tints > Publish to PDF.

Hopefully that may help with troubleshooting... if nothing else, it'll bump the thread so that someone more Corel savvy may see it.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
google primoPDF....it's a print driver that prints any file to a PDF....you select the resolution and compression.....i use it for customer sketches.....

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hello,

I have a drawing containing dwg files that i need to publish to PDF to be able to e-mail. Does anyone have any tips about how getting the file smaller? when i export it becomes 27MB...The .cdr file is only 3,7MB. Also tried to export as bitmap but then it gets even bigger. The document is to be used as read only...

I use corel 12..

A PDF is merely a container for a collection of objects, not a file where the content is the thing itself like a jpg. That being the case you want to make sure that only those objects you absolutely need are stored in the file as compactly as possible.

Start with text. Normally the entire font file for each font used is stored in the PDF. Circumvent this by checking 'Publish to PDF->Objects->Export all text as curves'.

While you're on that tab check 'Compress text and line art' as well.

Set the down sampling to realistic values for the image you're creating. The 'down sample' means that if a bitmap object has a greater resolution than the respective down sample value it will be resampled to that down sample resolution.

On the 'Advanced' tab select RGB and do not specify 'Apply ICC profile' unless you simply have to, like someone has a gun screwed into your ear, use CMYK and/or include a profile.

Select the other check boxes on the Advanced tab to suit your needs. Try not to specify anything you don't really need.

SignsOfMaine

nono... make the PDF any way you want, then afterwards... if you have acrobat 7, just go to Advanced --> PDF Optimizer. From there it has options to downsample image resolution, flatten transparency, simplify vector stuff, and clean up unneeded data or invisible objects. Works great. It's rare that I run the optimizer and end up with anything larger than a few megs. This is one thing adobe got right, I pretty much run it automatically when I plan on emailing.